Thoughts about this scope for M1A, and general opinions wanted....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have a cheap mount right now, planning on getting a Basset mount when I get the scope. Part of why my scope budget is so low. Open to suggestions on mounts as well.

My next biggest problem is a place to shoot and practice....

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a cheap mount right now, planning on getting a Basset mount when I get the scope. Part of why my scope budget is so low. Open to suggestions on mounts as well.

My next biggest problem is a place to shoot and practice....

Red Castle if you want to shoot over 300-600 yards, USSA if you plan to keep it under 300 yards.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a general opinion. After following the Army's efforts with the M-14 and trying to force it into an iterim role as a SDM/precision type rifle....the amount of money and effort required to accurize the platform and keep it accurized might be better spent on a different platform. The M1A and M-14 weren't built or designed to be scoped precision platforms. Sure, it can be done but you might find it disappointing.

At the same time, if you just want to have fun....might as well go for it and see what happens. The previous owner claimed 1.5-2 MOA, but at what range?

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just a general opinion. After following the Army's efforts with the M-14 and trying to force it into an iterim role as a SDM/precision type rifle....the amount of money and effort required to accurize the platform and keep it accurized might be better spent on a different platform. The M1A and M-14 weren't built or designed to be scoped precision platforms. Sure, it can be done but you might find it disappointing.

At the same time, if you just want to have fun....might as well go for it and see what happens. The previous owner claimed 1.5-2 MOA, but at what range?

I was told 4 inches at 300 yards. Maybe I should mention, I am looking to shoot this rifle in matches with the full knowledge that I probably will never "win" I just like the idea of shooting and competing against myself, learning to make wind calls etc, all under the added pressure of a match. Aside from that, I want a cool deer rifle.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We've found that the front of some stocks push on the barrel. As the barrel warmed the shots would string vertically. Just makes sure the barrel is free to move around.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I haven't done any mods to it, BUT it came with a heavy barrel (Douglas I believe) and unitized gas system. The previous owner said he shot 1.5 to 2 MOA with it, and it has around 2k rounds through it.

I'm not sure what steps to take to improve accuracy depending on how it shoots to start with, but I'm hopeful. It is in a GI fiberglass stock, which I may bed or replace depending on what I find as well.

Was he getting 1.5 to 2 MOA using the iron sights? Unless, your rifle has been completely upgraded/built to NM specs then I don't think a scope is going to make it shoot any better. You might shoot it better but I don't know that the rifle will have the repeatable accuracy that you are seeking.

Even though the gas system has been unitized, many people will still use gas shims to take up any play between the barrel shoulder and gas system, the goal is to get the gas lock to hand tighten to the 5:30 position and then tighten it fully with the proper wrench.

From what I've read about the GI fiberglass stocks is that the forend flexes too much, there are methods out there for adding material to the forend to make it more rigid. Remember the M14/M1A needs to place tension on the barrel, you don't want it to free float. I think you'd be better off looking for a wood M14 stock, they aren't very expensive. If you get a couple then you always do a test run on bedding the rifle yourself.

There's a lot more that can be done but those are fairly simple upgrades that you could do in a few minutes.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was told 4 inches at 300 yards. Maybe I should mention, I am looking to shoot this rifle in matches with the full knowledge that I probably will never "win" I just like the idea of shooting and competing against myself, learning to make wind calls etc, all under the added pressure of a match. Aside from that, I want a cool deer rifle.

That's a tall order even for National Match....

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I was told the original owner built the rifle for "Sniper matches" and at one time it was in a McMillan stock. I guess the first step is to get to the range and see what it does as is.

Latest posts

Top Bottom