Thoughts on a bedside pistol safe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm looking for a bedside safe to keep my Springfield XD-M locked up during the day when I'm not home but my toddler is running around the house.

I'm leaning towards the Liberty HD-200 Quick Vault and was wondering if anyone had experience with it, or suggestions for other beside safe options.

For those who do own it, does it pretty easily handle a full size pistol?

What do people think of the locking mechanism and the auto open door?

Has anyone bolted it to furniture and does it come with the hardware to do it?

www.libertysafe.com_images_products_s36_g125_hd_200_quick_vault_open.jpg

http://www.libertysafe.com/handgun-vault-hd-200-quick-vault-ps-36-pg-125.html

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I went with the Hornady Rapid-Safe. Price point wise they were pretty close, but having a manual keypad as a backup for entry over a mechanical key as the only means of alternate access other than RFID was the reason I took Hornady.

I'll post a review once I get it in.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve owned Gunvault and Sentry handgun units like that. Gunvault by a mile. The shock weakened on the Sentry which took forever to lift it open. “NOT COOL” if I needed it fast.

Quick_Draw_McGraw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, so after fighting with Amazon and Woodbury Outfitters I finally have my safe. Here are my day 1 thoughts.
  1. This thing is way heavier than I thought it would be. It's pretty heavy gauge metal. Not that it matters though, it would be super simple to pry open. I didn't get it to protect it from theft though, just needed the toddler out of it during the day.
  2. Programming the device is pretty easy. It can hold up to 5 access IDs. The manual combination counts as one of the access IDs. So you can do 5 RFID tags, or 4 RFID and a manual code, or any combination within 5 that you want.
  3. The RFID sensor goes to sleep (at least when on battery mode) so you have to hit the H button to wake it up.
  4. The door open quicks. So quick it almost pops itself in the air.
I'll give an update in a few weeks after messing with it a while. So far though, for what I need it for, I'm pretty happy.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the last year I had a Gunvault purchased around 08 that just stopped opening after inputting the code. I thought maybe the batteries needed to be replaced but that didn't make a difference. So I did a little researching and decided to contact their customer service. It surprised me when they offered to replace the entire safe for free. Still it wasn't a good feeling to know that it stopped working without any warning.

Now I really prefer the lock boxes by Fort Knox and other companies that use mechanical push button locks. There are no keys to lose, no batteries to replace and no electronics to go belly up without warning. They are made with thicker steel than typical vaults which is noticeable when you pick one up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom