Throwing 'hawks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Son and I just got back from Camp Classen and enjoyed throwing tomahawks. Looking to get a couple or three to throw in the backyard. Any recommendations that aren't ridiculously expensive? I get about half off Cold Steel, so looking at them right now, same for SOG. Target suggestions? Tree ring would work if I could source one.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was Muzzle-loading and going to the Rendezvous, lots of folks had H&B tomahawks, I used a Shawnee model, still have it. Need to dig it out and clean it up.

They're made in the USA and were hand forged when I got mine, could still see the hammer marks. Not sure what you're planning on spending. More importantly, find a model that has lots of handles available. If you throw hawks a lot, you can go thru lots of handles.

Target at most throws was a huge crosscut chunk of cottonwood. Might have to find a tree crew bringing down a big un after a storm.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I've got a couple that my dad's friend made years ago, haven't thrown them in forever. Used to be able to buy them at 3riversarchery.com also.

GroupGuy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have several hawks and if you don't care about it looking really cool then the Cold Steel, especially with your discount, will work well. If looking cool is important, buy the Cold Steel, knock the paint off and reblue them. With a little practice and good sharpening skills you can stick just about any hawk. WranglerStar's recommendation is good as well if you're willing to spend the time sharpening them. The Cold Steel hawks will come sharp.

Latest posts

Top Bottom