Thunderbird Run 'n Gun, July 13, 2013 -- do you have what it takes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawkeye

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Again, thanks to all those that put this on.... i do realize i should have spent more time training and conditioning prior to this event. But I will do it again. I taped the entire race with my countor roam 2... if anybody else has pictures or video footage i will be more than happy to combine to put together a video.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I thoroughly enjoyed myself... I might have said something else if you had asked me Friday night... but it turned out to be a great event! Thank you all for coming out and running and gunning with us. All the participants I met had great attitudes, and there was some serious skill on display as well. Probably the coolest thing I personally saw was englishkanigit connecting at 400 with that stubby AK and micro red dot... wearing armor and a helmet, no less! My hat is off to all of you who ran in plates. Most impressive of all was our champion, Justin Cocheran. He took best run score, best shoot score, and 1st place overall. It was great to meet so many of you in person. Unfortunately we didn't get the OSA group pic done... I forgot all about it with all the things going on toward the end of the event. As quick as everybody split after the awards ceremony, I have a feeling most of y'all were really ready to get home and head to the shower, anyway.

Thanks to my fellow ROs for all the hard work with setup and tear-down, all the ingenuity in overcoming all the issues we had on Friday, and for staying sharp on Saturday, even after the prior day's exhausting activities. I couldn't have asked for better help with something like this. Every comment I've heard on you guys has been very positive. Lots of folks have remarked on your professionalism. Great job. Our womenfolk deserve huge thanks as well. These were the gals you saw hanging out under the car port by the finish line. My old lady prepared the scoring spreadsheet (which is a lot more of a job than you might realize) and did data entry. Al's old lady cooked all the food and was on standby with her considerable medical skills, which were fortunately not needed. Pop (one of the RO's from Texas) also brought his wife, who helped record times, helped with the food, and forced cold water bottles on everybody crossing the finish line, whether they thought they needed them or not!

Squared1, thanks for loaning us your son! He was a big help, and jumped right in with anything that needed to be done, both with recording times and with tear-down after the event. He most certainly earned that red shirt, and we would be glad to have him (and you) at any future event.

Special thanks to Brian Altenhofel (VeggieMeat on this forum) for hosting our website at no charge. He was a huge help. He is still helping out in fact... I sent him the results from the shoot this morning, and he is going to post them on the website. We are very lucky to have his assistance, because both Ted and I would have absolutely no idea how to do that kind of thing on our own. Also web hosting can get fairly costly for a couple of guys who are organizing an event like this in their spare time.

I was originally planning on running with my AR, which I had just installed a free float handguard on. I thought if I got there nice and early on Friday, I should be able to catch a chance to shoot a few groups and get her zeroed. Wrong! We didn't even start the RO run until after 4. So I took the AR mag pouches off my gear, grabbed my M1, threw a few .30-06 bandoliers over my shoulder, and hit the course. She did great, even with an action coated with dirt from me leaving the bolt open on one of the legs of the run. Here I am before my run on Friday:
i281.photobucket.com_albums_kk201_henschman_henschman_Run_20n_20Gun_photo_zpsf1288884.jpg

cocheran

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello all, This event was a blast. I've never competed in any shooting event and didn't really know there were local shooting events or that this community existed. After participating I just searched the web for it and came across this thread. The shooting part of it was so fun, and the running was exactly like running(not fun ever) :) I've been training for almost a year for a 5k run. My first official 5k is in October in Lawton (a day after the zombie shoot in Alex). I thought I might could be competitive with my running. When we showed up and I found out they were weighting the shooting times and running times for the overall my hopes were dashed some. I just bought the shooting vest a few weeks before and should have practiced with it. I had trouble twice getting my AR mag back in the pouch. I had to twist it all the way around in there to get it to open up. But I think I had good luck on all the shots. They all went smooth. My running app which is usually spot on said I ran exactly a 5k on the course or 3.1 miles. It may could be off since it was all back and forth in such a small area, but normally it is exact on the road. I did run the blue flag route backwards toward the end of stage 5 and figured out I had to be wrong by the fact it was just to dangerous to be running behind where they were shooting :) I can't wait to find some more stuff to compete in like this. Everyone was really nice. I've been making videos the last couple years at www.youtube.com/cocheran And how do you change your profile pic on this website??
995906_10201529875590075_876881768_n.jpg

Have Blue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a great time RSOing this weekend. I wish I could have had more time visiting with everyone. I was wiped at the end of the day and I didn't even run the course!

The competitors were AWESOME. Saw a lot of blood and sweat but didn't hear a single complaint. Here's a few pics I took over the weekend. I intended to take more, but you guys just kept coming so fast I didn't have much opportunity.

I hope to see a lot of you at the Zombie Shoot in October.

Hey BOOMER - I know you got a few at stage 3 also...

DSCN1316.jpg
DSCN1317.jpg
DSCN1318.jpg
DSCN1320.jpg

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All the ROs must be worn out. That was a weekend of honest work....

UMB, did you get any pics? I wanna put a face to a name!

I think my kid sis may have snapped a couple when I wasnt paying attention, even though she knows I hate having my pic taken. I will check with her this afternoon. prepare to be underwhelmed.

I was right, she got several... I mean, one.

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom