Tip of the day: Take non-horrific hunting pictures

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sniper John

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh, I don't think the thread is absurd, but I actually agree with Winslow somewhat on his other comment. Really no need to obsess over the picture you take as Winslow said and if the purpose of how you place the hunter in relation to the animal is to make the animal beyond life size rather than to make it the main focus of the picture then yea, it will come out looking cheezy. But it does not take but a few seconds to look at the surroundings, direction of the sun, angle of the animal, placement of the hunter, blood, tongue, etc to simply get a more professional looking picture. I don't think the original poster of the thread with the tips was in any way suggesting we "stage" anything. They are only "tips" and the link I posted only contained tips from someone that takes a lot of hunting pictures. That is all. Understand those tips in the link probably apply more to the guy who is publishing pictures, but If someone thinks one or more of those tips could help in how one takes their personal or private hunting pictures, then great. If not, ignor it.

But I will say this. Would you take a family photo 5 minutes after you wake up in the morning with a dazed look sitting on a messed up bed with your hair all messed up and yesterdays undewear laying at your feet. Or would you rather take 5 minutes to get dressed in some nice cloths, fix your hair, put on a smile, and find a nice background?
I know which memory of me I would like my family members to share after I am gone.

DownDeep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sometimes I run a picture through photoshop to get rid of anything that I DO NOT want in the pictures! The picture below had a few malt beverages laying around and a water bong! It had to go.... would not want anyone getting the wrong idea about this buck!
[Broken External Image]

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sometimes I run a picture through photoshop to get rid of anything that I DO NOT want in the pictures! The picture below had a few malt beverages laying around and a water bong! It had to go.... would not want anyone getting the wrong idea about this buck!
[Broken External Image]

Dude, you aint right.:woot::w000t:

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all for taking a good shot, but it seems like some people are too stressed over it. The mount is what I show off, not necessarily the picture...

I obsess about it because pictures are all I have to remember my hunt and the animals taken. Unfortunately,..lack of $$$ prevent me having any mounts, so I turn to my pictures for remembrance. Maybe someday that will change, but a nice picture on the wall stores my memories.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I took this pic specifically to post in this thread.

Smartass. That's not even that bad. You need more blood smeared all over you and your truck. A good tailgate shot should imply that it rains blood from the sky for about 10 minutes after you kill an animal.

Your other picture in the success thread is an example of a good hunting picture. Except for your haunting stare, that might scare some people.

I obsess about it because pictures are all I have to remember my hunt and the animals taken. Unfortunately,..lack of $$$ prevent me having any mounts, so I turn to my pictures for remembrance. Maybe someday that will change, but a nice picture on the wall stores my memories.

Your pictures from the buck you shot yesterday are great.

Rolando

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But seriously, this is a shot I actually took some time to compose. No blood or guts. Suitable for framing. I'd even show my squemish step mother this one.
ai235.photobucket.com_albums_ee216_Rolando1911_jeremys2008Sparksdeer.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom