Tips and tricks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What little tips and tricks do you have to share for what many would consider somewhat simple tasks that your tip or trick can make even more simple?

For example...

When cleaning my firearms, I collect the cleaning patches in a small glass jar placed under the muzzle. When heading to the woods, I place quite a number of those patches in a 35mm film canister. The oils and solvents on the patches will easily catch a spark from a metal match and one patch will burn for 15 to 30 seconds...plenty of time to get an ember going in some dry tinder. This makes getting a fire started very easy for such a small amount of preparation and volume in your pack.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those same little film canisters (which used to be so abundant, but thanks to digital, not so much now ) or just a zip lock sandwich bag, stuffed with the dryer lint from cleaner the filter makes awesome tender and weighs almost nothing.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those same little film canisters (which used to be so abundant, but thanks to digital, not so much now ) or just a zip lock sandwich bag, stuffed with the dryer lint from cleaner the filter makes awesome tender and weighs almost nothing.

I take that same dryer lint and put patroleum jelly (vaseline) on it and the flame last for a VERY long time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you need a drop of oil on your Coleman lantern leather cup pump, get it from your dipstick in the truck.

To start a fire at any altitude, use 0000 steel wool, shorted across a 9v battery. Instant fire.
Coupled with dryer lint, or lint with vasoline like mentioned above, will start a fire in a rain storm.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For us in the northern hemisphere:

If you take the hour hand on your watch (horizontally) and point it towards the sun; the point midway between the hour hand and the number 12 on your watch will be South.

Latest posts

Top Bottom