To all you purest who say smoking with propane is illegal. . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiyot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]
ai67.photobucket.com_albums_h306_kiyot78_bbq1.jpg

Right before they went into the smoker.
ai67.photobucket.com_albums_h306_kiyot78_bbq2.jpg

About 9 hours in and meat at 165ish degrees, took a total of about 15 hours for both.

Hawgman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Of course your line of reasoning has merit. It's just that right now I have the large charcoal type with the side firebox. I prefer the charcoal/wood smoke method overall for flavor. But, you have to be attentive and keep the firebox feed and watch the heat to keep it consistent and apply the occasional wet mop. That's fine when I'm doing 2 or 3 chickens and 4 or 5 roast all at one time and I've got the 8 to 12 hours to spare. But I'm thinking of an electric or maybe propane for when I want to do a quick few stakes or a single chicken or maybe a small rack of ribs for that nights dinner. I'm leaning toward the electric because it seems the closest to the "set it and forget it" type of thing I'm looking for. But I'm open to advice.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Of course your line of reasoning has merit. It's just that right now I have the large charcoal type with the side firebox. I prefer the charcoal/wood smoke method overall for flavor. But, you have to be attentive and keep the firebox feed and watch the heat to keep it consistent and apply the occasional wet mop. That's fine when I'm doing 2 or 3 chickens and 4 or 5 roast all at one time and I've got the 8 to 12 hours to spare. But I'm thinking of an electric or maybe propane for when I want to do a quick few stakes or a single chicken or maybe a small rack of ribs for that nights dinner. I'm leaning toward the electric because it seems the closest to the "set it and forget it" type of thing I'm looking for. But I'm open to advice.

I have used an offset charcoal/wood for years for smoking. Also, had several propane gas grills and charcoal briquet grills in the past. But I really enjoy my electric/lava rock briquet grill for ease and a quick grilling meal. They are getting harder to find....for me anyway.

I had a Sunbeam electric grill and they don't make 'em anymore. It had a variable thermostat and was electric. I have also had an electric smoker.

My son has an natural gas grill and it works excellent for grilling.

DanB

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have two smokers one vertical propane smoker and another offset traditional smoker. after a year or so I converted the offset smoker to propane. I just couldn't maintain a contant temp using wood or charcoal. This is primarily due to the size of the smoker. Its a cheaper Charbroil smoker.

The conversion was simple. turkey fryer burner with Propane regulator with adjustable valve. lava rocks and a cast iron skillet. Wood chips land in the skillet and provide the smoke. The cooking chamber has its own mods such as custom heat diffuser and heat sink bricks(maintain the heat and allow fast return to cooking temps once door is open and closed)

Using the propane costs more I'll usually go through 1 tank in about 10 to 12 hours. I have one I'm hoping makes it another hour or so. If not I have a backup I can switch to.

When I either have built or buy a larger smoker something in the 24" diameter cooking chamber range I'll work on using wood only. Until then I have a proven method of making delicious BBQ and I'll stick with it.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm like a lot of you ,I like the wood or charcoal to add flavor to the meat. We had a gas grill for a short time ,because the food lacked flavor,we got rid of it. So we used charcoal for a few years but,wanted something easier to use and clean. Saturday we bought a Holland gas grill. It has a small open top metal box that can be filled with wood chips and put in the grill to add flavor. It also has a drip pan that catches everything and prevents flare ups. I think I've got the best of all choices. It's easy and fast to light,easy clean up,quick, adds the flavor , and I don't have to watch it every minute. We cooked steaks on it Saturday night and our guest said that they were the best steaks that they ever had eaten ( maybe they were just being polite). I know they were the best steaks that I had ever grilled. I don't own stock in the company ( Holland ).

jalapeno

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
258.jpg259.jpg264.jpg261.jpg

I have both the propane and the wood smoker. the propane is so much easier to maintain heat. everything I cook seems to come out tasting pretty good I have never had any complaints from anyone.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I grill with propane, but prefer to smoke with wood and charcoal.

End of the season, I am retiring my old tired grill for one of these:

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v18_mabby_IMG_2746a.jpg_0d5b3cbe16045decb0839ea2502f23d5.jpg

3-in-1:
-Propane Grill
-Charcoal Grill
-Offset Firebox for indirect heat smoking.

I use one at my in-laws and it works extremely well. Right now you can pick one up for about $320 before tax, and I hope they get more deeply discounted closer to fall.

Latest posts

Top Bottom