Tokarev Pistols

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

austin.brown

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've been getting more interested in the Military Surplus firearms the longer I look at them. The Tokarev pistols look fun to shoot and I looking for any thoughts or advice you owners might have.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 7.62x25 is a great cartridge... it is quite powerful, and has some of the best penetration of any handgun round. If you want something in that caliber, you might also consider a CZ-52... they are a little stronger than the Tokarev, and can handle the surplus submachine gun ammo that is loaded hotter than the typical pistol stuff. Supposedly that stuff will penetrate just about any soft body armor.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Toks definitely are an acquired taste :wink2: I've shot a couple, and found them to be ungainly in my large hands. The grips left me feeling like the pistol was going to squirt out of my hand like a wet soap bar.

You might also consider a CZ-83 (vz 82). Cheap and common, though chambered for the "less potent" 9mm Makarov round (9x18). I found those to be much more enjoyable to handle and shoot than a Tokarev. YMMV.

nich018

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 7.62x25 is a great cartridge... it is quite powerful, and has some of the best penetration of any handgun round. If you want something in that caliber, you might also consider a CZ-52... they are a little stronger than the Tokarev, and can handle the surplus submachine gun ammo that is loaded hotter than the typical pistol stuff. Supposedly that stuff will penetrate just about any soft body armor.

I had a CZ52 and it used that cartridge. It is a powerful load.

okla1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is what I found fella...hope this helps!

"I been doing it for over a year now with no problems, lee sells dies for it.
Since its a bottle neck, just make sure when you seat the bullet, make sure its straight.

starline brass
cci small primers
accurate #9"

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I used to be pretty active on the Gunboards site, and some of the old established milsurp guys there recommended against the SMG ammo in the CZ-52. It normally won't kaboom, but it's 'way overpressure for any handgun. Probably won't see any of it around anyhow. It'll for sure disassemble a Tokarev or a broomhandle Mauser.

been

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My friend said that last week his friend tried his tokerev on a class 3 bullet proof vest with a ballistic gel block behind it. apparently all rounds went through the vest and 7 inches into the gel.

Latest posts

Top Bottom