Tom Deighan, Superintendent, Duncan Public Schools: Mostly Educational Hitting the school bubbly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugersGR8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While I have no experience teaching the 3rd grade, I've been in education for 34 years. 31 of them teaching courses required for a diploma and mandatory state testing. The author is not the first to say what he said in this article, but he is in my opinion correct and maybe his words will make a difference. Furthermore, I can't think of any educator that I know personally that would disagree.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having been a school board member (way back in the '80's), I kind of wonder if the setback that the pandemic caused by forcing parents to be more involved with the teaching of their children will cause them to be more proactive with schools and pressuring the schools to do a better job? I'd like to think that, but I'm not sure that the generation raising today's kids were educated well enough themselves to recognize what is needed.

First and foremost, they should be pushing for the elimination of the federal Dept. of Education, thus creating havoc for the teacher's unions.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Overall I have been really happy with the culture at Piedmont Schools. The teachers and administration are amazing!

The way they have to teach to the tests drives me insane! I also have to constantly tell my son when he comes to me for math homework that I can show him step by step to solve anything with a pencil and a piece of paper, but it may not fit the requirements for how they teach math now. The unfortunate part is that the way I learned this stuff seems to make more sense to him than the current methods. The lack of text books to bring home with their homework is incredibly frustrating too. If I had the text they are teaching from, I could probably do a much better job reinforcing the methods they are using.

The only complaint that I have towards the teachers' methods is accepting late work. My son was blessed with my tendency to procrastinate until the pressure is on. Letting him have multiple weeks after the due date to turn in homework and receive credit is making it incredibly difficult for us to drive home the concept of deadlines and urgency in completing tasks.

My last pet peeve is that they dont memorize the basic multiplication tables anymore. I feel like that was the foundation to making basic math so second nature that we could focus on learning more complex topics. That isn't the case anymore.

In no way do I blame the teachers in any of this. I know this stuff gets passed down the ladder and they are more or less carrying out orders.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The head of any education guru who read that would certainly explode from common sense overload. The superintendent is right over the target.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Overall I have been really happy with the culture at Piedmont Schools. The teachers and administration are amazing!

The way they have to teach to the tests drives me insane! I also have to constantly tell my son when he comes to me for math homework that I can show him step by step to solve anything with a pencil and a piece of paper, but it may not fit the requirements for how they teach math now. The unfortunate part is that the way I learned this stuff seems to make more sense to him than the current methods. The lack of text books to bring home with their homework is incredibly frustrating too. If I had the text they are teaching from, I could probably do a much better job reinforcing the methods they are using.

The only complaint that I have towards the teachers' methods is accepting late work. My son was blessed with my tendency to procrastinate until the pressure is on. Letting him have multiple weeks after the due date to turn in homework and receive credit is making it incredibly difficult for us to drive home the concept of deadlines and urgency in completing tasks.

My last pet peeve is that they dont memorize the basic multiplication tables anymore. I feel like that was the foundation to making basic math so second nature that we could focus on learning more complex topics. That isn't the case anymore.

In no way do I blame the teachers in any of this. I know this stuff gets passed down the ladder and they are more or less carrying out orders.

All this sounds VERY similar to yukon. Except multiplication tables, they did go through those.

In addition to taking late work, this year they started giving everyone a 50 for work that wasn't turned in. So, take weeks to turn it in, but if you don't you still get half credit. Not good lessons in my opinion.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All this sounds VERY similar to yukon. Except multiplication tables, they did go through those.

In addition to taking late work, this year they started giving everyone a 50 for work that wasn't turned in. So, take weeks to turn it in, but if you don't you still get half credit. Not good lessons in my opinion.

They did cover them, but they didn’t do all the timed multiplication test/challenges like we did to drive them home. I feel like we had them hammered into our skull until it was second nature to have the answer on the fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom