Tomahawks / Hatchets / Axes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, I made the mistake of going inside Green Beetle this past weekend and man, that place is cool.

I went backpacking last weekend in the Ouachita National Forrest with CodedDude and he had a cool Tomahawk/poled Axe made by Cold Steel and I was thinking of adding one to the pack.

Once inside Green Beatle, I saw these and had to buy one:

http://www.hbforge.com/polled-axes/medium-camp-axe

www.hbforge.com_images_products_preview_350_102.jpg

www.hbforge.com_images_products_secondary_350_102_3.jpg

US made, high quality Hickory handle, Great steel, hand-forged (you can still see the hammering marks) and an Amish-made very over-built leather sheath. Can't wait to use it now.

Anybody got any good hatchets/hawks/axes they know of or own? Share your stories and show some pics.

mike miller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
H B Forge is the old traditional tomahawk for the black powder crowd.

Nowadays Lee Reeves out of Shattuck makes beautiful t. And axes. Single bit and double style. Back ordered a year right now. I believe a Chris Pierce over in SW Missouri makes some good ones!

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like the ones with the spike on the other side of the blade. Cold Steel has some nice ones but not quite as pretty as the hand forged blade. I don't really have any use for one but I do like how they look and the history behind their use by warriors from the native tribes to the Indian fighters to the American soldiers in Viet Nam and into the middle eastern wars used by US Special Forces.

Nimaro

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
butchesforge and primitiveforge on ebay list some amazing looking hammer/tomahawks. I just can't bring myself to bid what they are selling for but I do drool every time I look at them.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For the money, I have to go with SOG.

I'd be careful if you plan on using it for any wood prep - there are lots of reports of busted fiber-glass handles on Sog Tomahawks when folks try to actually use them for wood-craft (especially in the cold). Their warranty department is known for giving you the cold shoulder as well.

Coded-Dude

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like my cold steel hawk, even though the hammer broke off it still hammers great. I prefer Hawks over hatchets because you can separate the two pieces for easier pack storage and make a handle on the fly if need be. I still have the 2 Hawks longhunter on my wishlist, but it is a tad on the expensive side.

Transmitted via Tactical Telecommunications Device

Latest posts

Top Bottom