Tornado prep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
How do you prep for Tornado season?

Ive got everything insured the best i can.
Ive got all important papers in a small box, inside a rolling plastic tote.
In the tote i have flashlights, batteries, radio, some candles, couple of lighters, extra keys, first aid, spare sets of clothes, a few bottles of water, a new hurricane lamp, olive oil and TP

In the cellar in another tote, we have more clothes and blankets, TP, extension cord.

On shelf i have 2 lanterns full n ready, more batteries, coleman stove, another first aid kit, another radio already tuned.

Also rigged up some folding benchs than can sleep 2 or seat 5 on each.

My small generator is in a small cinder block wellhouse. If it takes a hit the house will be gone.

If we/I have time, we grab the tote an go, usually wife insists on putting the tote in cellar at first sign(tornado watch) esp. at night.

I dont worry about pets.

Never lock your cellar, anything can happen.
Dont get complacent, i did once, we got lucky.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Storm shelter in the garage is prepped for the wife and kids. We're out in the middle of nowhere but the shelter is registered with the county Emergency Management office, so they know where to look. In event of a tornado, I'll be out spotting in a fire/rescue truck somewhere in the county.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
LOL ... I'm a native OKie wife and I'm a fraidy cat when it comes to tornadoes! That window-rattlin' roar is a bit ... errrr ... "stressful" ... yeah, let's go with stressful ... :lookaroun

starting with the first tornado watch of the year, our cellar transforms into a very small 1 room house. We've spent a few stormy nights just hanging out with bottles of wine.

Latest posts

Top Bottom