Trading - trae goods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texican

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has fallen apart and society no longer exists anywhere across the globe....

You decide to set up a trading post....

So just what do you trade since there is no longer any goods be manufactured except what a person can make from available local materials....

Do you trade that which is irreplaceable????

Trade Items:
Food - that can be grown for can and storage food will soon disappear....
Animals - Chickens, rabbits, goats, sheep, cows, hogs, horses that can be breed to replenish what is slaughtered and eaten....
Glass Jars - All glass jars can be used for storage....
Lids and Rings - Even with tattler lids, the rings will finally fail....
Clothes and Cloth - All clothes will finally wear out as will cloth used to make new clothes.... Wool, cotton and leather will be the new clothes....
Hand Tools & Pull Farm Equipment, Wagons, etc....
Books - Especially books on how to live the homestead life on how to survive once the SHTF....
Fuel - Will disappear.... back to burning wood.... Gasifiers will be used until they fail....

Are you ready to live in the 1800'sss.... Can you do blacksmithing????

Look around you....
see all of the conveniences....
these will cease to exist once the SHTf....
and will not be coming back....

Watched good horses sale for less than $200 at livestock auctions.... Horses will be priceless once the SHTF, but can you afford to keep one now????

Do you have a well???? can you hand pump water or do you have to dip water with a water bucket????

It will be a struggle to live after the SHTF....
And most do not have an idea what a struggle it will be just to feed you and yours....

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think I am ever going to be ready to live in the 1800s I enjoy modern conveniences like running water way to much to ever think about being satisfied without it. That being said the human race survived living like that for a very long time so I'm sure it can be done again and we would all either have to adapt or die.

Sunshine7388

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Amen subprep. Modern conveniences are well liked over here as well. Could I survive without internet, cable, cell phone, electricity, etc? Well sure but might as well use them while I can.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'm with the girls on this. If it falls apart and pushes us back to 1800s, I ain't interested in rebuilding. I'll just make do best I can.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with the girls on this. If it falls apart and pushes us back to 1800s, I ain't interested in rebuilding. I'll just make do best I can.

Yup. It won't happen anyway but if it does the only thing I, or anyone, can guaratnee is that just about everything people think they know about what will be valuable will likely be wrong.

SomeCallMeMom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I look at this from a business plan perspective. Yes, the items listed aren't readily replenished, but most can be done.
To be successful, you are going to have to see the need before the need arises so that you are stocked.
For instance, don't trade the only chicken & rooster pair until you've got a bunch laying. Since there is no one to get stock from, you are going to have to be your own replenish supply. This might mean you have to give up something valuable to get someone's rooster.
Hire someone who can help you butcher meat, tan hides & fashion some clothes from leather in exchange for eggs or another good that you've got.
The beginning will be different than later on. In the beginning, residual things will be there. People will buy more candles because they aren't used to being in the dark. As they get used to not having electricity, they'll save for other essentials by only lighting one room, etc. For food goods, in the beginning, they'll want to buy produce or eggs you have to sell, but later on, once things start to re-establish, you will make more profit from seeds, laying hens, etc. so people can produce their own.
As far as needing items that can't be replenished... well, you're a trading post. Buy them at a good price, sell them at premium. Once you have one, you buy the second one at a lower price than you bought the first one because "Well, what do I want that for? I've got one on the shelf" type of negotiation comes into play :)

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I have breeding pairs (multiples) of horses, donkeys, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, and rabbits. A horse drawn plow. Large stash of seeds. Land and water. Along with Mom, wife, kids, and grandkids; there are 22 of us. Add in other family that makes their way to our compound.
We may have some items to trade, but I don't foresee opening a trading post and having every sociopath and band of marauders homing in on us.

Lurker66

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, I have breeding pairs (multiples) of horses, donkeys, cows, pigs, chickens, turkeys, ducks, and rabbits. A horse drawn plow. Large stash of seeds. Land and water. Along with Mom, wife, kids, and grandkids; there are 22 of us. Add in other family that makes their way to our compound.
We may have some items to trade, but I don't foresee opening a trading post and having every sociopath and band of marauders homing in on us.

My band of merry raiders ain't going near you.....that kinda farming takes more work than its worth. I can't imagine trying to farm n feed that many ppl....

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I'm INSANELY jealous of you ... :teehee:

Latest posts

Top Bottom