• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Traditions "Fox River Fifty" .50 BP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogoun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Is this item for trade?
  1. For Trade
Trade Value or Items Looking For
Cash, 1oz silver spot? IDK try me
Caliber
As the title says!

Im not expert on these. Feels like a youth model to me. Everything locks up tight, trigger works etc. I have not shot it. Think "pawnshop 50 cal black powder rifle" and this is it. Buy it for the grandson, toss it in the truck, have a spare for your friend?

50$ whole bucks takes it home. Im just trying to make space here fellas!

First "ill take it" wins

Located in east Moore, OK. face to face only please within 15ish minutes

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20240817_160433.jpg
    20240817_160433.jpg
    767.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240817_160417.jpg
    20240817_160417.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240817_160407.jpg
    20240817_160407.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0

Ogoun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Spf

And yeah like I said I'm no expert on older BPs 😋 my regular hunting load is 100gr under a patched round ball but I've never shot this one

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I had one just like it, and I found mine was most accurate with 90 grains. I tried 100, and I THINK the book said max charge was 150, but I never went over 100. I was shooting .44 and .45's with a sabot.

Steelers Fan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
80-120gr is standard.
Guns capable of magnum charges up to 150gr.
Loads depend on guns capability and your shoulders capability and whether your shooting a round ball, conical or sabot projectile. Pick the projectile and charge that groups best or what load you can take without flinching.

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The loads on Traditions products should not be guessed at.
Traditions guns are what they are - lower price point foreign made guns. If they are in good working order, and loaded correctly, they should be fine when used as intended. Start shoving anything you want down that barrel and all bets are off.

With any secondhand muzzle loader-

1) MAKE SURE ITS EMPTY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ELSE. -That means no charge in the bore. It's shocking how many are left charged and sold as unloaded.

2) If it's charged - clear it without shooting it. God only knows what's in that bore.

3) Check the bore for rust pits - bore scope is recommended.

If you can't do this yourself, well that's what a gunsmith is for.

Only once you have completed your initial assessment, should you start thinking about loading.

Start by finding a copy of the correct manual for your gun and read it before loading.

This might be a good start in this case, but that's just a guess.
https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/data/CURRENT - FIT 7 Revised Final FINAL_1477335832.pdf

The load table in the Traditions sidelock manual will tell you not to shoot more than 110 grains of loose FF with a patched round ball in their guns.

Remember, there are numerous articles out there criticizing how Traditions proofs their guns. The authors often point out that they use a Spanish system at the lowest pressure rating allowed. Some claim that pyrodex pellets with heavy projectiles have been proven to exceed the proof rating on some of these guns.

I am not taking a position on this.
If you want to step outside what is in their manuals, it's your body and your gun.
You can take any risks you're comfortable with.

Latest posts

Top Bottom