training class question / rant?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't have a problem if that's what they want to do , but when they start bitchin about people getting thier license and not continuing with training maybe you should Taylor a class to those people. If all you offer is tactical gunfighter classes then the non gunguy types probably won't attend

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another option is private instruction tailored to your individual needs and sometimes it's not as expensive as a class. That's how I'm doing it anyway.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great, now I'm being judged for wearing 511 pants...:bigeye:

They are actually functional ya know. Very tough, nice selection of pockets, and a section of elastic in the waist to expand for IWB carry.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship are universal. Most times its more productive and cost effective to take a comprehensive class with a standard size pistol (glock 17/19, M&P9, etc) rather than your standard carry gun because most smallish/compact carry guns have lots of limitations and are harder to learn on. It much easier/efficient to learn on a full size gun and then transfer that knowledge to your carry gun on your regular parctice sessions. In fact, many change their carry guns based off of what they learn in good classes, like TDSA's AP1.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship are universal. Most times its more productive and cost effective to take a comprehensive class with a standard size pistol (glock 17/19, M&P9, etc) rather than your standard carry gun because most smallish/compact carry guns have lots of limitations and are harder to learn on. It much easier/efficient to learn on a full size gun and then transfer that knowledge to your carry gun on your regular parctice sessions. In fact, many change their carry guns based off of what they learn in good classes, like TDSA's AP1.
I agree , but most of the none gunguy types I know aren't going to buy another gun to train with.

what set me off on this little rant was a instructor I'm familiar with was offering a ladies only 2 day class and I suggested my wife take it,when she called about it and told them what gun she carried she was told to borrow one of your husbands full size guns and come on out. she hung up the phone looked at me and said " I don't want to learn to run your full size gun, I want to learn to run my gun more effectively"

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great, now I'm being judged for wearing 511 pants...:bigeye:

They are actually functional ya know. Very tough, nice selection of pockets, and a section of elastic in the waist to expand for IWB carry.

I have some too,not judging,but the notion that if you don't have all the tactical gear you wont be able to effectively defend yourself with a handgun is nonsense

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've taken a bunch of classes with a G26/36...Those aren't "service sized".

I didn't realize Will's classes had a caliber requirement. Biggest issue I think some would have with .380s and other mouse guns is the lack of proper holsters. Lots of folks run pocket holsters with them. Reholstering is an important drill and not easily accomplished with a pocket holster when one is trying to run a safe range with multiple students.

Not sure what others are wearing to class has to do with the quality of instruction you are receiving and/or the ability to learn.

Private lessons might be a good route.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've taken a bunch of classes with a G26/36...Those aren't "service sized".

I didn't realize Will's classes had a caliber requirement. Biggest issue I think some would have with .380s and other mouse guns is the lack of proper holsters. Lots of folks run pocket holsters with them. Reholstering is an important drill and not easily accomplished with a pocket holster when one is trying to run a safe range with multiple students.

Not sure what others are wearing to class has to do with the quality of instruction you are receiving and/or the ability to learn.

Private lessons might be a good route.

In a class room, safe holstering might be safe for the class but in the street, putting one in the holster is secondary to getting one into play. Putting it back into the holster is not going to happen if happens to me until LEO shows up, then it going to be laid down on the ground unless the threat is still active.

Practice or get your classroom lessons with what your going to carry on the street is my opinion.

Mouse gun is the only thing I can carry with shorts and a tshirt. I make sure my mouse gun gets a lot of practice as I know its not one that will blow arms and legs off like a .45(just kidding :D)

Winter time, with the new Oklahoma regs, I've started carrying a bigger gun for primary. Sometimes a full size 1911 since printing is not an issue anymore. I know I'm rambling, but bottom line train with what your going to carry. I loved shooting the CC matches at Edmond where you actually shot your carry guns.

The most interesting matches I've ever shot were the low light matches. Better have some Tritium sights. A true eye opener for me. The folks that had them were on target, while the rest were spray and pray that they got close.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, that's right, until you're the guy carrying liability insurance and trying to teach a random group of people off the street...running a safe range and repeating drills requires safe reholstering. I'm speaking to the OP's expression of frustration about why they're aren't more classes for that.

If someone wanted to offer a class like that allowed pocket guns, then the same folks complaining about the prior lack of said class would probably have a heart attack at the cost due to insurance.

It's sort of like indoor ranges not allowing draw from the holster. I hate it, but I understand it from a business owner's point of view.

Latest posts

Top Bottom