Trap line in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you who've caught stinkers, what do you do with them? I'm assuming a bullet from a distance to do the deed, but what about disposal and trap recovery/cleanup? Do you just man up and retrieve the trap, do you throw something over the carcass to contain the smell, or...? And what do you use to clean/remove the odor from traps and tools affected by skunks?

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
D&T, offset means the jaws don't completely close, or the jaws are notched in order to leave a gap.

As far as skunks, if it's in a cage, I shoot them and leave them, dump them out the next day. In coon cuffs, I shoot them and reset. The smell won't detour any coons or cats, cats are actually intrigued by the smell. It's common to catch a cat the night after a skunk catch in a cage. Footholds usually have enough pan tension to keep skunks from setting them. Some guys do skin them out......and extract and sell the essence!!

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While waiting for my coil trap to come in I put out a cage. Been out a week with nothing. I put a plastic bottle with aluminum foil in it with real chicken feathers strung to it also and hung it from a branch over the trap. Inside I tossed a chicken drumstick and rubbed some bobcat gland lure. I also squirted some bobcat urine. This is right on the edge of the trail I got video of him crossing a few times. Any suggestions?
[Broken External Image]

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
-Have you seen the cat walk up to the cage on your cam?
-How tall is your cage?
-I'd cover the bottom of the cage with leaves or dirt, cat's are fickle.......some cats will walk on the mesh, some won't.
-The more feathers scattered at the cage entrance the better.
-Looking at the trip pan in that cage, if you're putting bait in the back, tie it in the back. You'll want him to w ork at it and make him step on the pan, if not, he'll just reach with his head as far as he can and sniff it......then he'll take it or leave it, while not ever stepping on the pan.
-If he's the only cat in the area, which most likely he's not, he/she could take 1-3 weeks to walk through the same area. The visually distracted easily...........he may have been walking directly towards your trap last night, and just before he got there, he may have seen or heard something just off to the side of the trail, capturing his curiosity and changing is direction of travel. Just when you think you've got them figured out, they'll mess with you.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope I got nothing on camera since putting the trap out.

Yeah I just threw the chicken leg in the back. I will tie it up now.

I did throw some leaves in to cover the bottom but these high winds just pushed them against the back. I will toss some dirt in.

Thanks for the help!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Nope I got nothing on camera since putting the trap out.

Yeah I just threw the chicken leg in the back. I will tie it up now.

I did throw some leaves in to cover the bottom but these high winds just pushed them against the back. I will toss some dirt in.

Thanks for the help!

Ditto, Okie--and everyone else. This is a very instructive thread!

If you guys can, come out for this.. https://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?180360-Brainstorming-on-an-Idea-here-about-trapping/page5 we're trying to get a date set. Several trappers on OSA, and everyone does things a little differently. Put 10 trappers in a room, and learn 10 different ways to catch a cat, coyote, coon, fox and badger........we all catch skunks and grinners the same though! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom