Trap line in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do wax and dye my leg hold traps to cut down on the rust, and enable them to withstand freezing temps without locking up the pan trip.

I dye the old fashioned way with green walnut husks. Traps come from the factory with a light coat of oil, so I'll boil them in one pot, and have the dye in another. Take out of the hot water/soap, rinse, and put into the hot walnut dye mixture. Hang them to dry. The next day, I'll dip them into wax that is melted in a pot of boiling water. Leave them in the hot water that is underneath the wax, until they get hot, and slowly bring them up through the wax. They will just get a very thin coat that will last for years.

I agree with Okie4570, it takes a while sometimes to get a cat to the trap. Hanging duck wings and/or surveyors tape from a limb directly in front of the trap works as an attractant.

I got tired of catching skunks in live traps, so went to all leg holds these last two seasons. Set the pan to about 3 pounds to trip, and the skunk can walk in, and out and never trip the trap. Its a royal PITA to put up proper signage though, and the interpretation of what is legal is left up to discussion at times.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I do wax and dye my leg hold traps to cut down on the rust, and enable them to withstand freezing temps without locking up the pan trip.

I dye the old fashioned way with green walnut husks. Traps come from the factory with a light coat of oil, so I'll boil them in one pot, and have the dye in another. Take out of the hot water/soap, rinse, and put into the hot walnut dye mixture. Hang them to dry. The next day, I'll dip them into wax that is melted in a pot of boiling water. Leave them in the hot water that is underneath the wax, until they get hot, and slowly bring them up through the wax. They will just get a very thin coat that will last for years.

I agree with Okie4570, it takes a while sometimes to get a cat to the trap. Hanging duck wings and/or surveyors tape from a limb directly in front of the trap works as an attractant.

I got tired of catching skunks in live traps, so went to all leg holds these last two seasons. Set the pan to about 3 pounds to trip, and the skunk can walk in, and out and never trip the trap. Its a royal PITA to put up proper signage though, and the interpretation of what is legal is left up to discussion at times.

That's by far the best way to wax a trap too! Have you ever used pan covers and uncovered traps for cats Dennis? This would have been the year to do so too, don't have to worry about the ground freezing.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's by far the best way to wax a trap too! Have you ever used pan covers and uncovered traps for cats Dennis? This would have been the year to do so too, don't have to worry about the ground freezing.

I watched a trapping show that the guy used an antifreeze mix to spray the ground and the trap to prevent freezing.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I make a pan cover out of a shingle stapled to window screen on three sides, to forma pocket. This slides over the pan, it's cut to fill the entire space in the open trap. Then no need to cover, the jaws look like something the cat doesn't want to step on, like sticks I guess, and gives the perfect foot placement into the middle of the trap. Haven't set any steel this year, but I haven't covered a foot hold for cats in years.
Not my pic, but set similar.......and crazy that a cat will still step there!
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_uncoveredtrap_zps64d0ef75.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its the stepping sticks that force him in there. Nice set.
I put stepping sticks to the left of the trap going in, and to the right coming out, forcing the cat to make a serpentine route that should get a foot in the trap. Years ago when starting, I used an open pan with no dirt or anything under it, and didn't have any success, but I didn't have a lure, scent, feathers or anything. Learned a lot over the years, and Might try that open pan set again if it looks like its going to be freezing cold. The peat moss tends to shed the water when I use it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom