Trap line in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
This defies everything about a coyote........3 exposed traps, cat food, crayfish oil.....no scent precautions taken our part. I've got many game cam pics of yotes passing right through the same area.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_th_IM000001_zps62218f44.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
I would think the same, but he's had his chances before at coons and deer, unless he's just preferring the trapped variety.
i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_IM000043_zpsc4bc13d1.jpg

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_IM000123_zps6ed664e9.jpg

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Where do you get coon cuffs? Are there licensing requirements/permits required, or can anyone use them?

On a related note, what bait have you used that's gotten the skunks? I'm looking to trap one or more skunks that have decided to set up shop in my dad's hay barn; I've tried a live-catch trap, but all it has succeeded in doing is catching one of the barn cats...twice...on successive nights. Suffice it to say that he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Anyone can buy them. They make them with push/pull triggers and pull only triggers.....so read up before you buy a particular brand, you'll want the push/pulls for skunks. I use z traps and Lil Grizz, Oklahomabassin uses Dukes, Hoddy uses Lil Gizz. Lot's of internet trap supply places sell them. I use dry cat food, fill just up to the trigger, and a squirt of crayfish oil. The Lil Grizz are pull only, unless the newer models have changed.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got myself a New Years coon this morning. Finally a Coon without fur damage so at least I can get a little something out of this pelt.

Im thinking about using a 17 Mach II to dispatch the coons with. Wondering if I could eliminate the bloody exit wound caused by the 22's by doing this.

What do you guys think?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got myself a New Years coon this morning. Finally a Coon without fur damage so at least I can get a little something out of this pelt.

Im thinking about using a 17 Mach II to dispatch the coons with. Wondering if I could eliminate the bloody exit wound caused by the 22's by doing this.

What do you guys think?
Are you shooting the coons in the head? The entry wounds bleed on the coons I catch. I haven't noticed if there is an exit or not. A short rinse and let dry is simple enough. I can zip tie several to a fence by 1 bag leg and spray down to wash dirt, mud and blood off. Then let dry and into the freezer they go.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well finger tight isn't near tight enough. Sorry to tell you, you have let 2 coons get away with a trap on there foot. Coons are very smart. They have front paws with nearly identical function as our hands. They loosened the nut back and slipped away. At minimum crank those down with a wrench. Coons have been known to open minnow buckets and ice chests as well as other latching mechanisms.

BuckRoar, I apologize for the above post, I didn't mean to sound like a richard. Okie4570 followed up with good information, I should have included.

MR.T.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll try a head shot on my next chance. Usually I have been going for the neck shot or low neck right in front of the shoulders.

Latest posts

Top Bottom