Trespasser pic thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say that in the past, we have had a couple of problems with coon hunters running their dogs during deer season. That problem was solved, and hopefully won't happen again.
Coon hunters, coyote hunters with dogs, and everybody else, need to obtain permission before tromping around sombodys property.
I've been trapping the heck out of the little corn stealers, so I'm doing my part. Body count is 17 now.:D

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think all trespassers should be prosecuted. I had a feeder and camera stolen in Kieffer. Few hundred bucks won't break me but I do hate them theives.

As far as coon hunters, coyote hunters, or whatever hunter, I have no issues if permission has been asked for and granted. If not, no matter what you hunt you're a pos trespasser. JMO

Rusty Shackleford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes,..I have a problem with "some" coon hunters. I have feeders and cameras set up in feeding areas. These areas attract wildlife,..ie deer, coons, opossums,..etc..! Most of the animals feed at night, and usually there will be deer and coons and other animals feeding at the same time. So I put in my time and money to get animals coming into an area, only to have some F'n "Coon Hunter", who hasn't put one second of his time, or one dime of his money into a place, run his herd of dogs thru my persimmon patch, spooking all the fauna and stressing the deer.

And let me say this while I'm at it. IMO,..COON HUNTERS DON'T HUNT,..they CHASE..! They turn their F'n dogs loose and let them run all over the place, drink a beer in the truck and listen for the dogs to bay something. Then they leave the vehicle and tromp across whomevers land happens to be in the way to get to their currs.

Deer Hunters hunt..! Predator Hunters hunt..! Duck Hunters Hunt..! Squirrel Hunters hunt.! Quail Hunters hunt..! Coon Hunters CHASE..!

It makes a HUGE deal when I've spend my $$$ trying to improve a place. If a Coon Hunter was to hunt, shell out some of his dough and find his own place. This aint the Wild Wild West. You just cant go hunt where ever you want to under the guise of "As long as I aint causing any harm what difference does it make" I guess if you aint causing any harm, might as well fish all the fish out of my pond, and cut down all the firewood,..It ain't causing no harm,..nobody will notice,..right..?

The only way they get away with doing it is because they do it at night. You think public landowners would be okay with the trespassing that goes on if it occurred during the day..? I'm thinking NOT..! Lets see em pull up to someones favorite hunting grounds in broad daylight and proceed to stomp all around a guys hunting area. Things will come to a head real quick like.!

I know the suckers are there even without my trailcams. I had mysterious tracks all across my lease years before trailcams were available. It's not very hard to tell when somebody else has been in your hunting area.

Take a look at the scientific study on the impact of coon hunting on deer.

http://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/publications/pdf/raccoonimpact.pdf

I'd argue that coon hunting is much more of a hunt than the way many people deer hunt. Setting up a corn feeder to dump corn 30 minutes before dark every day and then sitting in a blind 50 yards a way with a rifle is not much of a "hunt". (FWIW I have hunted over feeders many times myself) Coons are smart, and I have seen them fool dogs and live to run another night many times. On the other hand, many of my hunts end in me looking at several deer and figuring out which one I wan to shoot.

I walked many hours training my dog as a pup and it has paid off in many successful hunts. Unless you have the money to buy a finished dog, you can't just wake up tomorrow morning and decide to become a coon hunter, you are going to wear out some boots and spend a lot of time in the woods before you can even think about having a true coon dog. Maybe that's part of why there are not many of us left, takes too much work for most guys.

As for the trespassing issue, that can certainly be a problem, as there are definately guys that don't respect landowners rights. On the other hand, let's say it's 2:30 at night and my dog moves off of land that I have permission to hunt and is 100 yards across the fence on your land, would you rather me slip in there without a gun, leash the dog up and move on, or knock on your door in the middle of the night asking for permission? And what about my safety? from my point of view it's a lot safer to just go get the dog than take a chance on waking up a nut case, or walking up on a meth house. As you can see, it's not a black and white issue here.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On the other hand, let's say it's 2:30 at night and my dog moves off of land that I have permission to hunt and is 100 yards across the fence on your land, would you rather me slip in there without a gun, leash the dog up and move on, or knock on your door in the middle of the night asking for permission? And what about my safety? from my point of view it's a lot safer to just go get the dog than take a chance on waking up a nut case, or walking up on a meth house. As you can see, it's not a black and white issue here.

Some might say if you don't have control of your dog...don't let him run. If you spend many hours training your dog, why can't you get him to return to you from 100 yards away instead of having to trespass in order to go leash him up? (not flaming you, but really asking in order to learn)

I know you were just throwing that distance out there for discussion sake, but seriously, why can't your dog be trained to return to you on command just for such an occasion? Especially if you are worried about your own safety. "I'm just getting my dog" won't wash if you run across the wrong people.

dcmtex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rusty, I disagree with you on the trespassing issue. The law is pretty black and white. If you choose to trespass and you're caught you stand the chance of being charged. Now in your example most likely not but we are just typing on a forum here and throwing out what ifs.
Should you have better control of your dog? Almost impossible I think since I have a cousin that competes and runs competitions and I think hes a good trainer. Control seems limited when they are on a hot trail.
Its probably all about timing and attitude. In your case I don't think you'd be a pos poacher :) but thats just me. Someone with a harder line might if he has been trespassed on or poached on before. Anyway, mine is just internet opinion.

Rusty Shackleford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Some might say if you don't have control of your dog...don't let him run. If you spend many hours training your dog, why can't you get him to return to you from 100 yards away instead of having to trespass in order to go leash him up? (not flaming you, but really asking in order to learn)

I know you were just throwing that distance out there for discussion sake, but seriously, why can't your dog be trained to return to you on command just for such an occasion? Especially if you are worried about your own safety. "I'm just getting my dog" won't wash if you run across the wrong people.

That's a good question, my dog will usually come to me if he's just tracking, but once he sits down and trees, there's nothing in the world I could do to get him to leave, I've had him stay on a tree until daylight back in the days before I had a tracking sytem and he got out of hand on me. These dogs have been bread very heavily to be "tree minded". That being said, I have seen a few dogs that would come off of a tree when called, but typically in those cases they are not real great tree dogs to begin with.

Rusty Shackleford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rusty, I disagree with you on the trespassing issue. The law is pretty black and white. If you choose to trespass and you're caught you stand the chance of being charged. Now in your example most likely not but we are just typing on a forum here and throwing out what ifs.
Should you have better control of your dog? Almost impossible I think since I have a cousin that competes and runs competitions and I think hes a good trainer. Control seems limited when they are on a hot trail.
Its probably all about timing and attitude. In your case I don't think you'd be a pos poacher :) but thats just me. Someone with a harder line might if he has been trespassed on or poached on before. Anyway, mine is just internet opinion.

I agree on the law being black and white, but in practice it's not a black and white issue.

While we are throwing out questions, what if in my scenario I don't even know who the land owner is? or I knock on your door and you don't answer? How should I handle that situation?

twocan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree on the law being black and white, but in practice it's not a black and white issue.

While we are throwing out questions, what if in my scenario I don't even know who the land owner is? or I knock on your door and you don't answer? How should I handle that situation?

If you get cought, you take you a$$ eating and go on your way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom