Tumblers: Lyman vs Frankford

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So for what its worth, here's my observation between the two.

Lyman (left) is better at cleaning, Frankford (right) is better at polishing.
I can clean both out and put fresh media of the same kind in both and within two cycles the Lyman media looks dirty and the Frankford media still looks about like new.
Brass from the Lyman is cleaner, but dull.
Brass from the Frankford has more grime left on it, but what is clean is much shinier.
Notice how much the Lyman churns the brass. The Frankford the brass pretty much sits in the bottom of the hopper and never cycles around to the top.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Same amount of brass in both? I’ve noticed that my tumbler (hornady) does a better job with more brass than it does less. Ofcourse I’m sure there’s a point where too much is too much.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So for what its worth, here's my observation between the two.

Lyman (left) is better at cleaning, Frankford (right) is better at polishing.
I can clean both out and put fresh media of the same kind in both and within two cycles the Lyman media looks dirty and the Frankford media still looks about like new.
Brass from the Lyman is cleaner, but dull.
Brass from the Frankford has more grime left on it, but what is clean is much shinier.
Notice how much the Lyman churns the brass. The Frankford the brass pretty much sits in the bottom of the hopper and never cycles around to the top.

Clean in the Lyman. After loading, a quick final polish in the Frankford also adding a small amount of Nu Finish.

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a frankford with no issues with cleaning or polishing. I add nu finish from time to time. Also I use cut up dryer sheets and they are black when removed. I basically measure out the amount of media depending on the amount of brass though. I won't fill it full for 200 pieces of brass.

Can you show some comparisons of brass from each one?

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I've had a Frankford for years, but I've never used a Lyman. I haven't been disappointed with the Frankford, but had nothing to compare.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heres a piece of .450 Bushmaster brass that went through the Frankford compared to some 9mm that just spent 12hrs in the Lyman.
Both have NuFinish in them and both have cut dryer sheets.

20201108_095136.jpg

Glock 40

Problem Solver
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are the insides cleaner on the lyman run cases? Or are you inferring it cleans better due to the fact the media is dirtier?

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Insides are cleaner with the Lyman, it does a better job of getting carbon and gunk off the entire case than the Frankford...but they always come out looking "matte" like the 9mm above.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have noticed in my lyman running corncob media with nu finish that if i leave them more than 4 hours they get that matte look also, if they are real dirty i wash in lemishine first before putting them in the lyman. I just tried some lyman red media for the first time and that stuff cleans ok but it is a mess to clean off the brass afterwards had to wash them again and still didnt get it all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom