Turkey gun set ups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is everyone planning on taking to the woods this spring?

I am getting ready to set up the 20ga. I know tss is all the rage but 1. I can’t find #9s locally 2. How dead can you kill a turkey inside of 40 yards.

The plan for now includes a Carlsons Longbeard XR .568 choke tube and Longbeard XR #5 or #6. I’ll keep y’all posted on pattern results.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I make it up during turkey season, I’ll hunt with Fabarms 12 ga O/U. I’ve got some ammo loaded with #4 shot.
OXgfK04.jpg

Last edited:

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I bought an H & R single shot years ago with a fixed xtra full choke. That thing kicks like a rented mule, with three inch turkey loads, but I’d be lying if I said it’s not my go too turkey gun. It’s light, handy and holds a solid group out to 40 plus yards with federal #5 shot. It ain’t pretty as the camo paint is wearing thin in a few spots, but she’s a turkey killing machine.i

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2 3/4" Winchester #5 Turkey loads with a O/U Citori, modified choke, no camo has taken many turkey for me.
IMHO the obsession with rifle quality tight chokes is way overrated and results in misses and wounding.
Never had a miss, nothing but a shot and a flop.
I don't take 60 yard shots either. The sport in turkey hunting is the art of the call and getting them in as close as possible.
My wife doesn't hunt, but I took her out once without a gun, sitting behind her and called some jakes in so close that she panic'd and moved scaring them off.
That's just my style. Yours may be different and I don't judge so go for what you feel is good for you.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If I had a place to go, I'd be using my Remington 870 with whatever turkey loads I have from the only time I went turkey hunting in the past (no turkey, no shot, still have ammo). Not even sure what the choke I have for it is, but it was the rage back when I went (about 10 years ago).

Latest posts

Top Bottom