Turkey Season 2020

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I finally shot my first turkey this morning after many frustrating tries. Now I get it. I never considered myself a turkey hunter, but that may have to change now...
20200424_081610.jpg

meatGrinder

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Congrats Meat Grinder! Give us the story!

We hunted the same property we had a week earlier, seeing at least 10 or so turkeys, mainly jakes. We showed up about 7:30, a little later than we wanted, but kinda knew they would be coming through the property. We had noticed they were crossing this meadow between properties to the north and south of us.
My son and I both were planning to hunt, we both were dying to bag our first turkey. When we arrived and started to walk into the meadow to find a tree I realized one of our shotguns was having a problem. The bolt wasn't functioning properly and the trigger didn't reset after dry firing. We were down to only one gun.

We sat a tree with good brushy cover around it, him facing south and me north. We decided I would call and he would have the gun first. Om that, very little calling is needed on this property. We had a very large field of view so we agreed we would hand off the gun depending on where we saw them coming from. I had one on my side come to about 100 yards, so I said "Slowly hand me the gun." We made the hand off just fine and the turkey kept coming. All of a sudden he hangs up at about 75, lifts his head and looked our direction for a good 15 minutes without moving a muscle. My arm was killing me holding the bead on him forever!

Eventually he turned and mosied back opposite direction. I was going to hand the gun back off to the boy, but right then he whispers " Dad there's two coming right at me!" I chanced a peek around the tree and sure enough, two turkeys were closing the distance fast towards our tree. I couldn't reasonably give the gun back to him, but I could poke the barrel through the brush and take a bead on one. My son says "The one on the right has a beard"
Yep, as soon as I could I poked my barrel around the tree, confirmed the beard, and whispered "Slowly cover your ears!"
Within 2 seconds I smoked my first turkey at about 35 yards. We are going again in the morning to seal the deal on his turkey.

Overall we have seen maybe a dozen jakes, half a dozen hens and 2 really gnarly old toms. The big old gobblers never left the neighboring south property, either visit. I hope we can pull one off of there and he can get a turkey to dwarf both mine and his grandpa's!

Oh yeah, turns out mine was a bearded hen!

makeithappen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We hunted the same property we had a week earlier, seeing at least 10 or so turkeys, mainly jakes. We showed up about 7:30, a little later than we wanted, but kinda knew they would be coming through the property. We had noticed they were crossing this meadow between properties to the north and south of us.
My son and I both were planning to hunt, we both were dying to bag our first turkey. When we arrived and started to walk into the meadow to find a tree I realized one of our shotguns was having a problem. The bolt wasn't functioning properly and the trigger didn't reset after dry firing. We were down to only one gun.

We sat a tree with good brushy cover around it, him facing south and me north. We decided I would call and he would have the gun first. Om that, very little calling is needed on this property. We had a very large field of view so we agreed we would hand off the gun depending on where we saw them coming from. I had one on my side come to about 100 yards, so I said "Slowly hand me the gun." We made the hand off just fine and the turkey kept coming. All of a sudden he hangs up at about 75, lifts his head and looked our direction for a good 15 minutes without moving a muscle. My arm was killing me holding the bead on him forever!

Eventually he turned and mosied back opposite direction. I was going to hand the gun back off to the boy, but right then he whispers " Dad there's two coming right at me!" I chanced a peek around the tree and sure enough, two turkeys were closing the distance fast towards our tree. I couldn't reasonably give the gun back to him, but I could poke the barrel through the brush and take a bead on one. My son says "The one on the right has a beard"
Yep, as soon as I could I poked my barrel around the tree, confirmed the beard, and whispered "Slowly cover your ears!"
Within 2 seconds I smoked my first turkey at about 35 yards. We are going again in the morning to seal the deal on his turkey.

Overall we have seen maybe a dozen jakes, half a dozen hens and 2 really gnarly old toms. The big old gobblers never left the neighboring south property, either visit. I hope we can pull one off of there and he can get a turkey to dwarf both mine and his grandpa's!

Oh yeah, turns out mine was a bearded hen!
That's awesome that you got to share that with your son! High five!

Latest posts

Top Bottom