Turkey Season Picture Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Little crazy in the turkey woods this morning. Birds flew down, did everything just right until they circled way around before coming to the decoy. My son had trouble getting pointed in the right direction so once they went into a low spot, I got him spun around and ready for the 3 jakes that were approaching. He gets settled in, and not 10y behind us a bird gobbles. He approaches and crosses the fence not 5' away to our right, goes to the edge of the field then angles towards us. My son was now in the wrong position for this bird, so we had to let him walk past us, and he did, full strut not 8' from the end of his barrel, the whole time concentrating on the decoy. Once he got past us a little way, I told him to keep his cheek on the gun, put the bead on his neck and squeeze. I glance down at him and he's already off of his stock and boom, he shoots over him. The bird stands there, I tell him to shoot again, cheek on the stock and squeeze, he does the same thing again, and misses again. This time he double gobbles and runs about 100y down the edge of the field and stops. I call to him, he gobbles and here he comes back, I told my son to get ready, and says he's had his chance and that it's my turn lol. Couldn't convince him otherwise, the bird came back and put him down. I opted not to video, and give my full attention to him, so we would have a better chance at making it happen. Would have been awesome video of a good tom 10' from my face spitting and drumming.

i1085.photobucket.com_albums_j434_btenn1_20160409_081952_zpswypvebhx.jpg

Great pic and story! Your son is to be commended for giving dad the shot! :D

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good grief, goldflinger! What was that cologne you were wearing?!?!?!

Dennis - You shouldn't make them wait for breakfast! Keep that feeder full, my man!

brian89

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I'll contribute to this thread with a few pics.
12938343_10156735286550076_4058524496319598288_n.jpg

My 7 year old shot his second longbeard the Sunday of youth season. He had a 9-1/4" beard and 7/8" spurs. This bird gobbled great on the limb, but was roosted on the land we did not have permission on. He flew down and went silent, I was glad this happened in a way, cause it taught my son some patience. I called sparingly about 10 minutes apart. At 8 am I hear spitting and drumming to my right in the trees.. He came in totally silent to my strutter decoy and gave my son a 15 yard chip shot with the 20 gauge. It was a great hunt..

Last Sunday was the first day my wife could hunt due to work. We got up and went to a place I had a bunch of birds roosted the day before. The wind was howling, we got close enough to the roost they could hear us easily. This bird had 5 jakes 6 hens and himself in the flock. We set up and while they were still on the limb had two bulls come in and literally fight each other 20 yards from us.. That caused us to move about 50 yards in the opposite direction of them, it was crazy. On our second set up we called in 2 jakes as soon as they hit the ground. We passed on them waiting on the big bird. I knew we needed to get back to the first spot because thats where the hen's were going to take the longbeard. So we get the jakes out of there and sneak through the cedars to where we originally were. We came around a cedar and the turkeys were already there. We saw a hen run off so I put my strutter in front of me and called, the jakes and gobbler sounded off so I knew they didn't see us. I told my wife to get behind me and crawl to this huge elm tree, we start crawling with the strutter decoy in front of me. I get to about 40 yards from the whole flock. We can clearly see the strutter. The jakes come over to us about 15 yards away to investigate and the gobbler doesn't like it. He comes close enough and I tell the wife to shoot. She smoked him at 25 yards. It was an incredible hunt ,

her's had a 9-3/4" beard and 1-1/4" spurs

i1175_photobucket_com_albums_r629_brcarroll89_12974303_10156779998145a2d72693978826ec035e55e65.jpg

[Broken External Image]

My bird came off a different place on the way home.. we seen two giant toms out on a field we can hunt next to, we go and set up on them, and like always we call in a different bird.. Mine had a 10-1/4" beard and 1" spurs..

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom