Two different articles, two different opinions, same magazine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree that the 10mm is overrated. There are so many people puffing it up that the average guy believes it is a dragon slaying hand cannon.
It's good, but dang. I was carrying my 1911 at work the other day. A guy asked "hey nice gun, what is that?"
I said "a Ruger 1911"
He asked what caliber. I said 10mm. His eyes grew big and he said something like "wow, why are you carrying a bear gun?"
He had read and been told that the 10mm was the best bear defense handgun cartridge there is.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"With the exception of the 7mm Remington Magnum, cartridges of this diameter have never been as popular in America as they should be—maybe because this was the caliber of the Imperial German Army and the Nazis. Nonetheless, 7mm bullets can be extremely aerodynamic and, as legendary elephant hunter Karamojo Bell proved, effective on even the largest animals."

From the second article.
In fact the German standard round was 8x57, NOT 7x57.
While the Germans did invent and produce the 7x57, it was mostly exported as the standard round for many South American countries. Both rounds are great for deer, but the 8 is far superior in terms of ballistics, and also delivers a much heavier payload. (awesome round for pigs, BTW)

This is such common knowledge, it really illustrates how ignorant the current crop of "experts" and writers are.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
My one experience was when a friend of mine was visiting. After a day of rabbit hunting and talking to him standing outside the open door of his pickup, I spotted an opossum about 10 feet from us coming out of the chicken house. I had my 22 Leatherneck and prepared to dispatch said opossum when my buddy, chambering a round, said here, try this. I gave him my 22 and he handed me a bolt action scoped rifle already chambered. I took aim at the opossum and BLAM! pieces of opossum went everywhere, the rifle went up sharply and my shoulder went backward like I took a punch from Mohammad Ali. The rifle was coming back down along with pieces of opossum and the barrel caught the tail of the animal which wrapped itself around the barrel spraying blood all over the rifle and scope. My buddy was on the ground about now laughing so hard he almost wet himself. The only thing I remember was it was a 7 mm Magnum.

Latest posts

Top Bottom