U joints.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate changing the U joints on a Polaris Ranger. But its done, again.

23031249_1910997845583506_2384729383119596792_n.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That common on the Rangers? Changed a bunch on broncos over the years, not axle shaft ujoints so much as front and rear drive shaft.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That common on the Rangers? Changed a bunch on broncos over the years, not axle shaft ujoints so much as front and rear drive shaft.

No not common really. I drive this thing every day. And almost exclusively on the weekends. I thought I just changed them and when I went to order new ones I figured out I last changed them in 2015. One started to squeak every now and then and I couldnt stand it. I had to change it.
And it was the joints on the front drive shaft, not the axles. I had to pull the axles to get the front chunk out in order to pull the front drive shaft. Bumper, winch and all that has to come off. But I should be good for a few more years.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I remember changing u joints on an old Chevy, needle bearings everywhere.....was a mess!!

Had to mention needle bearings didn't you? I used to marine mechanic (as in boat shop). Cant tell you how much time I spent looking for those damn things when rebuilding the powerhead on the old in-line six cylinder Mercury outboard motors.

The crankshaft bearings were all split races with needle bearings. Press in the race, gunk it up with grease and lay in the individual needle bearings. Never failed you would either get them gooped in and then bump the head as you were ever so carefully lowering it onto the crank/block. Bearings release themselves from the grease and and drop everywhere. Start over! Alternatively you'd get them all in place and realize one was missing. Now where the hell did it go? Did I drop one into the block somewhere? is Is in the block to come back and haunt me when I start this damn thing? Was the kit missing one when I opened it?

It didn't take long to learn exactly how many you needed and to count and secure them BEFORE you started going back together with it.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man that would suck. I hate stuff like that.

Not a whole lot of stuff worse than getting a U joint hammered together and a clip on one side then you cant hammer the cup in far enough on the other side. Thats when you realize a needle bearing fell inside the cup and you have to start all over. Of course you get everything dirty putting it back together the 2nd time because your pissed and you just say f it and put it together.

Latest posts

Top Bottom