U.S. M1 Helmet Collection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently finished putting together examples of WWII, Korean, and Vietnam era M1 helmets and thought I post some photos of the collection. It's been a pretty painstaking process of putting the helmets together piece by piece over the last year and half, but I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Helmet #1 - Early WWII McCord Radiator shell (front seam, fixed bale, sewn OD3 chinstraps) with Westinghouse liner. Liner is also an early production piece with unpainted A washers, non-adjustable nape strap, and leather chin strap with green painted hardware.

Helmet #2 - Post-WWII / Korean War McCord Radiator shell (rear seam, swivel bale, sewn OD7 chinstraps) with late WWII production Firestone liner. Shell and liner are in very good to near excellent condition. The sweatband, leather chinstrap, and adjustable nape strap are all NOS, unissued late WWII pieces. WWII parts are correct for Korean War helmets as most WWII stock was being issued well into the 1950's.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice! I know next to nothing about USGI helmets, so this is an informative thread. I admit that third helmet put me immediately in mind of the theatrical poster for the movie "Full Metal Jacket". All you need now is a couple painted logos on the cover, plus a brace of 7.62x51 rounds tucked into the strap :wink2:

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome! I collect helmets although I don't specialize in any particular helmet like you. I just collect various military, fire, flight...helmets. I admire your collection.

coolhandluke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ran across a cheap 1950's era shell that needed some love. Luckily I had a set of 50's era chinstraps (w/ OD painted hardware) and a spare liner on hand. Just need to find a leather liner chinstrap and a T1 ball connector for the helmet chinstraps and it will be complete. It's not as attractive as my other M1 helmets, but it's good to see it cleaned up and serviceable again.

Here's some before shots...lots of surface rust, paint scuffs, and cut off chinstraps. I used the Whink's to remove the active surface rust and Goof Off to clean up the white paint scuffs. The rust remover doesn't harm the paint, but I made sure to neutralize it anyway by thoroughly washing the shell with Dawn soap and tap water.

And here are a few shots after a careful cleaning and installing some used 50's era chinstraps and a MSA Micarta liner. It's clean now, but still has that nice aged, patinaed look. Even found the remnants of a gold lieutenant's bar decal on the shell that had been removed at one point for a repaint.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom