Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be careful burying shipping containers, there have been several cases of them collapsing under the weight of the dirt. They are very strong and designed to be stacked, but the weight is all carried on the corners. They are basically a tubular steel box frame with sheet metal sides and top, the roof and sides are not even 1/8" thick (I just cut window holes in one this week).

Good point! The video link on here earlier showed a guy who did it and he built a 6 inch reinforced concrete shell around his and also used spray foam to seal and insulate it. The container was basically just a big form.

steelhorse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've decided to go with the garage in-ground style of shelter. I have it narrowed down to either Flat Safe or Ground Zero. The main difference that jumps out at me is the door design. One has a single piece door and the other is two piece. Which is the better design and are there any other differences between the two that should be of concern?

thebrez1

Marksman
Reaction score
AS a safety consultant, I would highly discourage the use of the units that go in the floor of the garage. Yes, they are easy put in and you can get into most of them even with the car parked in the garage. Here's my big complaint: Gas vapors and natural gas all have vapor densities that cause them to sink. Where is the lowest point in your garage (if you have a shelter put in)? Gases will settle to the lowest point and I have no intention of taking residence in that lowest point! Many above ground shelters are rated for F5. I just got back from Alabama two weeks ago and while driving through an F5 area, noted 3 above ground shelters standing in an area that looked like contractors had come in and cleaned all the slabs off, but it was from the tornado. So they do work, and that is what I have put in. I would prefer an underground shelter but not in the garage.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. My house is total electric, so the natural gas would not be a problem, but I see where you're coming from on the fuel vapors.

Nat gas is lighter than air anyway, so not to worry there. I could see where fuel vapor could be a problem is there was a localized spill, but if your house is being destroyed around you then that is the least of your problems. And, the vapors would dissipate quickly with no walls to contain them.

AU_K9s

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd go with Flatsafe. My dog is in one of their commercials.
http://www.flatsafe.com/AboutUs/Testimonials/Video.aspx

I've decided to go with the garage in-ground style of shelter. I have it narrowed down to either Flat Safe or Ground Zero. The main difference that jumps out at me is the door design. One has a single piece door and the other is two piece. Which is the better design and are there any other differences between the two that should be of concern?

Latest posts

Top Bottom