Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KOPBET

Duck of Death
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe you didn't vote in the last election when one ran against the other. Basically I wouldn't have voted for Inhofe but he was running against Rice and was once again the lesser of two evils.

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I guess I seldom remember the names of also-ran Democrat challengers from three years ago. But I did vote, thanks. I too would like to see Inhofe defeated in the primary, but we have several years to wait for that to even be a possibility.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just received an email from the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management that my application for a rebate was approved.
My shelter must be installed and the paperwork submitted by the end of September.

So..

I'm in the market for an outdoors below ground shelter.
Anyone have input on the difference between the better concrete versions versus the fiberglass units as far as not leaking water in?
It will probably be a smaller 4 or 6 person model.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dang that's good news Hobbes. I've been waitin' on MWC's $$ to come through since we got selected back in the fall, but they said the money probably wouldn't hit until the first quarter of '12.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dang that's good news Hobbes. I've been waitin' on MWC's $$ to come through since we got selected back in the fall, but they said the money probably wouldn't hit until the first quarter of '12.
Mine was a state application since I live in the country but I imagine the city grants will follow right on the heels of the state's so maybe you will be good to go before tornado season arrives.

I lived in Oklahoma all my life and never even saw a tornado until the May 3rd 1999 tornado plowed through Moore 3 blocks to my north.:bigeye:
And then I almost got creamed by the 2003 tornado that struck Moore again.
Driving south on the service road and that beast popped out of the rain right in front of me.:bigeye:

I moved out of Moore, but I still have flashbacks when the tornado sirens sound off.

Good luck to ya

oufan24

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in Cleveland County & applied but did not get selected. I even had a contract & install date for December. We pushed the install date to February or March just in case I got selected. If you already had it installed you are not eligible, so we had to move the date. There is still a chance to get drawn, but it's slim!

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live in Cleveland County & applied but did not get selected. I even had a contract & install date for December. We pushed the install date to February or March just in case I got selected. If you already had it installed you are not eligible, so we had to move the date. There is still a chance to get drawn, but it's slim!

Yeah, Midwest City actually made it very clear about NOT engaging in a contract until selections were made and the money was released. In fact you had to sign a statement to that effect IIRC. Probably smart on their part so they didn't have people throwing a fit saying "I spent $$ because you told me I'd get reimbursed!" etc....

I would've liked to have something lined up ahead of time, but decided to wait.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There will still be more applications approved.

As I understand it, people who have already been hit by a tornado get in line first.
After those are filled a certain number of other applications are approved.

Mine gave me 3 options:

1. I decline this offer right now but wish to remain in the pool for future fund grants.
2. I accept and agree to install and submit paperwork by Sept 30th
3. I decline and wish to be removed from the pool.

There will be a certain number of people who will choose option 1 for whatever reason, not enough money, might move, ....
And those will be returned to the pool and granted to someone else on the list.
Those who choose option 3, maybe they have already had one installed, would also have their options returned to the pool also so
I can see at least 1 more round of grants by Spring.

Latest posts

Top Bottom