Underground tornado shelter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, I don't. I never viewed taxes paid as some type of personal account I could withdraw from. When the May 24th tornado hit out here in Piedmont I never even thought about asking FEMA to help with what little damage I had. I know a few others out here that felt the same. Spent many manhours helping them cleanup and get back on track. I know of others that asked for FEMA help and they are still waiting.

Income taxes were never meant to be some type of personal savings account. I'm a retired State of Alaska employee so I won't be getting much from Social Security, which you are entitled to, since we were not required to pay into it.

You are right, they aren't a personal savings account...they are payment in return for government services. So unless you do not avail yourself of any government services, you might climb down off the horse. You state you are a retired public employee, receiving a wholly or partially government funded pension of some sort I assume, so someone else could make the argument that you are just as guilty of 'sucking off the tit', to use your own terms. I would not make that argument since you fulfilled your contract.

I pay taxes, they provide services...that's how that contract works. If you want to cut back the services and defund FEMA I'd support it, providing we saw a corresponding decrease in tax rate to account for the reduced service. Until then I will use the services that I pay for.

Now if you want to rant on about folks who don't pay into the system receiving stuff gratis...I'll climb up on the horse with you.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are right, they aren't a personal savings account...they are payment in return for government services. So unless you do not avail yourself of any government services, you might climb down off the horse. You state you are a retired public employee, receiving a wholly or partially government funded pension of some sort I assume, so someone else could make the argument that you are just as guilty of 'sucking off the tit', to use your own terms. I would not make that argument since you fulfilled your contract.

I pay taxes, they provide services...that's how that contract works. If you want to cut back the services and defund FEMA I'd support it, providing we saw a corresponding decrease in tax rate to account for the reduced service. Until then I will use the services that I pay for. Now if you want to rant on about folks who don't pay into the system receiving stuff gratis...I'll climb up on the horse with you.

Yes, I think FEMA and a whole boatload of other agencies should be defunded and done away with. That's why our country is in the financial shape it's in. I'm going to do my part not to suck off their tit. I want them to get their house in order.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
craziestgadgets.com_wp_content_uploads_2010_04_reusable_bag.jpg

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally ready to pull the trigger on one of these. After the wierd story where people have become stuck in their flat safes I want the Ground Zero one! Wife thinks we need the big one. 64 Inches wide by 7 feet long and 60 inches tall. I think the 8 person one is fine at 40 inches wide by 7 feet long and 54 tall inside. Those of you who have these do we need the big one? At most we will have 5 of us in there plus a small dog?

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those of you who have these do we need the big one? At most we will have 5 of us in there plus a small dog?
Get the big one. Don't assume when it's time for you to stick your 5 people and a dog down there, it will be empty. You'll be piling some of your preps down there. We keep a little food & water down there, but it's a great place to store bulk ammo. Guns go in the safe bolted to the ground, but >10k rounds takes up too much space to go in the safe.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
my is 20'x15'x8' w/power, phone, cable, wifi, toilet, bunks, table, chairs. as long as the generator is working its pretty nice down there.

That's what I need!! How Do I get one of these?

Get the big one.

Get the big one. Don't assume when it's time for you to stick your 5 people and a dog down there, it will be empty. You'll be piling some of your preps down there. We keep a little food & water down there, but it's a great place to store bulk ammo. Guns go in the safe bolted to the ground, but >10k rounds takes up too much space to go in the safe.

You folks talked me into the bigger one. Thanks!

aa5b

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI...I was at the Home and Garden show today at the fairgrounds in OKC, and Ground Zero was running a special on all of their shelters. The large garage shelter was $2650 and the X-large was $3995. I bought the large and they knocked off an additional $50 because my dad and I both bought one at the same time. They told me they would deduct an additional $100 dollars off at time of payment if you paid in cash. Just thought I would pass along the info to the rest of you.

MyMonkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FYI...I was at the Home and Garden show today at the fairgrounds in OKC, and Ground Zero was running a special on all of their shelters. The large garage shelter was $2650 and the X-large was $3995. I bought the large and they knocked off an additional $50 because my dad and I both bought one at the same time. They told me they would deduct an additional $100 dollars off at time of payment if you paid in cash. Just thought I would pass along the info to the rest of you.

I opted for the X large. 12 man. Nice and safe in there I am sure.

Latest posts

Top Bottom