Underrated SHTF Items

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Badgebunny
"I've read that it take 5 years for the typical garden plot to start producing with any kind of consistency. I dunno if that's really true or if they just said it to keep people from giving up ... So ... I'll hang on for another 4 years. I'm really wanting cold weather to get here so I can try that greenhouse out ... I'm finding that I kinda prefer "little" gardening projects to a great big garden ..."

Not if you compost. Compost is one of the best things you can add to your garden. I add compost every year and
My garden produce has thanked me for it.

I also have learned how to make soap so I will stay nice and squeaky clean if the S ever HTF.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not if you compost. Compost is one of the best things you can add to your garden. I add compost every year and
My garden produce has thanked me for it.

GC and I don't make enough "trash" to get a compost bin hot enough to cook. Even with dumping the chicken poo in with what little we have all I seem to wind up with is gigantic bugs that the chickens LOVE ... :naughty: I've tried everything short of setting it on fire ... :P My rabbits, however, are picking up the slack nicely! :D I supposed I could drive down to the stables on 16th and see if they'd let me have some horse manure but to be quite honest, I just don't feel like going to all that trouble ...

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Grass clippings, leaves....it doesn't take 5 years. Get all the leaves you can, dump them in garden, run over them with a mower, till them in. Fish heads, bones from cleaning, etc...all good stuff. Too much chicken manure will make it too hot if you're not careful. A jar of dirt to your county extension agent will tell you exactly what you need.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
GC and I don't make enough "trash" to get a compost bin hot enough to cook. Even with dumping the chicken poo in with what little we have all I seem to wind up with is gigantic bugs that the chickens LOVE ... :naughty: I've tried everything short of setting it on fire ... :P My rabbits, however, are picking up the slack nicely! :D I supposed I could drive down to the stables on 16th and see if they'd let me have some horse manure but to be quite honest, I just don't feel like going to all that trouble ...

I had a compost heap one year that I made in a little kiddie pool. The compost was outstanding but I had these grubs in it that were like African feast sized grubs I'm not even exaggerating here! They were H U G E I didn't even know grubs could get that big here. I tossed them to the birds every time I found them!

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
one item that never gets mentioned... condoms. lets face it, we dont need little milk drinking munchkins around to try and keep alive unless we have to. We all know that when the moment is right, you cant say no....

Latest posts

Top Bottom