Unfair suppressor cost

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just can't get my mind around the justification to charge hundreds of dollars in taxes to own a suppressor. These are not the movie "silencers" they are suppressors. You would think the government would want you using these devises for safety and noise reduction for the sake of the community and the health related hearing loss. It's nuts!!!! I wish we would demand that these cost be removed in our state.
IT'S A TAX!!!! It serves no purpose what so ever as you have to be able to pass a background check anyway. If you don't know already, our elected officials in OKC (Capital) look at these revenues as neutral. They get away with this because they use language like "we want to make sure these SILENCERS are not in the wrong hands" and these usage cost (TAXES) will be used to promote gun safety. What they are really saying is, "this is an easy sale to increase the tax on the legitimate shooting public without anyone arguing the point".
There are people that don't like suppressors, but some of us think they would be great at the range and in confined shooting areas where you don't want to bother your neighbors.
It drives me nuts when I see the back door ways the elected officials, who claim they are pro 2nd amendment, are really gutless, privileged blue bloods that paying a bucket of money for a suppressor is nothing. To me, I can't see paying as much for a suppressor as I almost do for a gun (and I don't have any cheap guns).
I pay sales taxes, that should be enough. If the price was reasonable I would have a suppressor for every gun I own, but no. To do that I would have to buy a bucket full of suppressors as each suppressor is for a single gun alone. NUTS>>>>NUTS>>>>NUTS.
How about this....every time you get bored call state representatives and state senators from you district and tell them you want this crap changed. Call their number at the capital that you can get online. Don't call just once, but every time you get a chance. Hell put them on speed dial. This will do two things. 1. They will know they have gun owners/voters in their district that care. 2. Get these elected officials off our backs for good on issues dealing with gun control. They have a formula at the capital. Every call or email represents hundreds of voters. Because most people don't call or contact them, if they get a few call;s or email in support or against any issue it means hundreds of others think the same that did not call. Get a lot of calls or emails and they move pretty quickly.
Sorry to rant.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2339_bye.jpg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It seems glocktogo has the time to read the FFA of 1930(sic) amended and amended to ad nauseum and I don't. 51 year shooter and hunter...I get it. Referencing me to my error is different than a barb about education. I have that as well.
It was a rant. Not a manifesto well researched, documented and cited.
I like this forum because of the local identity and the very positive posters who have tons of great information and pause for thought on wide and varied issues.
This is still one of the better online venues that I can only compare to the Glock Forum.
Perhaps reading the post is in my wheel house.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FWIW, when the NFA went into effect, the $200 transfer tax constituted a much larger portion of a person's disposable income than it does today. In 1934, with the Great Depression still gathering steam, a man might labor all day for $1.00. So, he could work all year long and still not have $200.00 in disposable income. Instead of ranting about the price of suppressors, you should be thankful that the Feds haven't adjusted the transfer tax upward to reflect the greater material prosperity we currently enjoy.

Latest posts

Top Bottom