Unreal UH-1 Huey Jump - or was it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
i had one recurring nightmare for decades, haven't had it in a while - maybe the film broke LOL
I hate it when the film breaks, always gets spliced into a crappier version. Glad to see the topic come up, a WHOLE bunch of us experience it. Not just Military, but Peace Officers, EMTs, Docs, First Responders, Firemen, etc.

lasher

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i finally stopped waking up in the middle of the night and running perimeter checks. still sleep very lightly but getting better, need some background noise so i can sleep at all. i don't often mix with people in crowded locations, seldom go out at all - really have been a hermit for more years than i can remember. when i do go out i never sit with my back to the door, eyes on the door at all times and have already spotted egress points. sadly i stabbed a fat guy, just a little bit - not a full blown stabbing, when he cornered me in my office at my last job about 15 years ago, i requested he remove himself and get out of my way 3 times, then i showed him by Puma Cadet would make a hole in his shirt and had the potential for real damage. he ran away and reported me to HR, i splained my side of the story and HR let me off the hook.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@lasher - I feel ya more than I can say. 54 months direct combat with the enemy. I dream nightly, have hyper vigilance issues like yours and have a fuze that once lit won't go out. My wife and family are amazing and really know how to make me feel comfortable and secure. The difference I think is you guys were just dropped off and sent home, while we were psychoanalysed damn near to death before they let us out. The traumas experienced has never truly and deeply been addressed in your generation, lessons learned have at least provided for some sort of "care" for today's guys. The VA is WAY behind in available folks to assist in dealing with these traumas, and private practice guys are generally out of touch with what real violence/trauma is. Best I have found is folks that are in the same boat talking, telling lies, stories and experiences.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i finally stopped waking up in the middle of the night and running perimeter checks. still sleep very lightly but getting better, need some background noise so i can sleep at all. i don't often mix with people in crowded locations, seldom go out at all - really have been a hermit for more years than i can remember. when i do go out i never sit with my back to the door, eyes on the door at all times and have already spotted egress points. sadly i stabbed a fat guy, just a little bit - not a full blown stabbing, when he cornered me in my office at my last job about 15 years ago, i requested he remove himself and get out of my way 3 times, then i showed him by Puma Cadet would make a hole in his shirt and had the potential for real damage. he ran away and reported me to HR, i splained my side of the story and HR let me off the hook.

I think there's a lot of us that just live like this a little bit, many for so long now it's just natural and even normal to us...always sitting in a restaurant so we have a good vantage point, never with your back to the door. Always have a plan mapped out for egress and reaction. Taking constant note of things nearby that can be used either defensively or to wreak havoc if needed. Lots of folks refer to this as situational awareness, but for a few, it's just the way life is lived. I still out of habit look at available fields of fire, even making little plans as I go about my day to day activities in various places as to how I would react given a certain situation...it's not paranoia, it's preparation. I rarely have those dreams...but when they come, they can be damned real and just as damn scary as the events that caused them. But it is also kind of funny to me that they aren't like normal nightmares, where one almost knows it's just a dream; they are much more realistic...it's like I really was in that damn helicopter last night, up until The point I hit the bathroom floor and realized what the deal was. Now, I can get a chuckle out of it...but it has taken some time to get to that point.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom