Use Trail Cam For Vehicle Tag Reader?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I live out on a dead end country road with just a few houses past me. We recently had a Saturday Night mail box bashing incident and a few other things going on ocasionally. Wondering how a couple basic trail cams would work shooting up and down the road from the trees against the fence line right close to the road for mounting. Traffic us usually about 30 MPH maximum past my drive. Is the resolution on something like the $100 units at BassPro good enough to read a tag number?

Not looking for anything fancy, not desiring WiFi or internet connected, just simple roll over memory that I can download if desired. Any help of opinions and brands recommended would be appreciated.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think so. 30mph is a pretty good clip to expect to be able to read a plate after dark. I think the IR models tend to have license plates too bright after dark because of the light shining on it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agree, 30 mph won't produce a tag number because of the delay and resolution in the trail cam. My house is the dead end on our road so they have to pull up and turn around. Without giving up details, we can get a tag number and face even after dark.

Latest posts

Top Bottom