Use your non dominant hand more

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, with an impending right shoulder surgery on the horizon, I am once again looking at having to rely on my left hand to pick up the slack while my right arm is healing.

I went thru this a few years ago with carpal tunnel surgery and I found that pre-surgery practice paid off well.

So, here I am practicing again.

Thought that I'd pass this on. Figure it could serve preppers well as well as serve us all in regular life.

Before my carpal tunnel surgery, I took an ACE bandage and wrapped it around my right hand to practice what it would be like to not have the full use of that hand.

It really is amazing how many "little things" you depend on your dominant hand for during the course of the day.

And it is even more amazing how many of those "little things" can't easily be duplicated on demand by your non dominant hand

So, I'll pass the idea on. Implementation is up to the reader.

Much like some people recommend unplugging from the grid for a day or two to see how your preparations will fare,
I'd say practice a day or two without your dominant hand and/or arm.

You will be really surprised.

Dave

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
You going to be doing fillings with you're non dominate hand................ this could be disruptive to your practice :)

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
...It really is amazing how many "little things" you depend on your dominant hand for during the course of the day. Dave

Ummm...I am pretty sure I remember the nuns in school saying that we shouldn't handle our "little thing" dominant or submissive hand...oh wait I may be getting "things" mixed up here.

BTW - no special reason, but can you recommend another good dentist in Lawton?

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ummm...I am pretty sure I remember the nuns in school saying that we shouldn't handle our "little thing" dominant or submissive hand...oh wait I may be getting "things" mixed up here.

BTW - no special reason, but can you recommend another good dentist in Lawton?

Some of us have "little things"
Others are dominant
Others are submissive

And, there are NO other good dentists in Lawton!!!

Ah, you bring back memories of Sister Mary Discipline of the Iron Ruler!!!

The Priest always said I'd go blind!!!

I asked if it was OK just to do it till I needed glasses!!

Dave

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You going to be doing fillings with you're non dominate hand................ this could be disruptive to your practice :)

I sort of hate to say this, but based on some of the work I've seen coming out of (especially the corporate) other offices....my non dominate hand would still be better!!!

I'm hoping to be able to get back with the dominant hand rapidly.

Until then, I'll be doing a lot of supervising!!!

Dave

securitysix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Funny you should mention that. I've been practicing doing a little bit of writing with my left hand. Mostly numbers (I have to write the date on things at work, which is about the only place I write anything), but I've noticed an improvement in the 3 or 4 weeks I've been doing it.

I can already shoot handguns left-handed, something I've been practicing for 10 years or so.

I have to shoot long guns left-handed due to an eye dominance issue that we discovered when I was 7.

I actually do quite a few other things with my left hand, too. I can use a fork (still have some issues with a knife, but I've been getting better) or a spoon. When I learned to use chopsticks, I was able to manage them left-handed before I could use them right-handed. I still can't quite explain that one.

Latest posts

Top Bottom