USSA Competition/Practical Pistol Course 110

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Elgin (The "I don't want to live in Lawton" town)
United States Shooting Academy
Practical/Competition Pistol Course 110
March 25-27, 2010
Lead Instructor- Pat Doyle
Assistant Instructors- Troy Fulbright, Jon Zane, Tammy Sharp
Special Instruction by Mike Seeklander

It still hurts, just a little, that I paid $600 for three days of training. However, if I had to do it again, I would not hesitate to take the class all over.

On the morning of the 25th, it was raining pretty hard. It wasn’t a good start to a course I was already skeptical about. We spent the morning in the classroom going over rules and regulations of USPSA and IDPA, and different types of gear used in competition. We also introduced ourselves and the instructors did the same.
After an hour or so, we started some dry fire drills in the classroom with miniature USPSA targets. We went over stance, draws, grips, aiming, trigger pulls, reloads, and turn and shoots, then we did all this with a "par" timer. As the morning progressed, the par time was decreased on each exercise. I really liked seeing my improvement with just a few minutes of practice. Using a timer really keeps you honest with yourself and makes you try harder every time to improve.

By the time lunch was over, the rain had subsided, and we headed to the range that afternoon.

At the range, we used live ammo while doing the same drills we did that morning. It’s a little humbling when you see that your bullets aren’t landing where you want them to land. I could slow down and make the bullets go where I wanted them to, but with a par timer, you really have to concentrate on many things at once. As we worked on our techniques, the mechanics got a little better, and I started not to actually think about what I was doing; things just started happening. By the end of the day I had decreased all of my par times by at least half, with the bullets landing where I called them……….mostly.

Day two was a full day at the range. It was a beautiful day, and in my opinion, perfect in temperature. I’m not sure I can remember everything we covered, but here’s most of it.
- Review of previous day drills
- Shooting on the move
- Transitions
- Flow (not the lady at the diner)
- Shooting from awkward positions
- Shooting through ports
- Choosing order of targets to engage
- Shooting the Texas star and other steel
- IDPA vs. USPSA targets
- Good shots after a reload

It doesn’t sound like much, but believe me, my hands were raw at the end of the day from all the shooting. The last part of the day was spent with Mike Seeklander in the classroom discussing the mental aspect of the shooting. In short, I was amazed at what Mike could convey in just one hour. His mental methodology can greatly improve your shooting, as well as your life in general.

Day 3 was our “final exam”. I thought we were going to have a “mock match” for just the 12 students in the class to run through. But, I found out we were shooting in the United States Shooting Academy monthly USPSA match. The students and the instructors made up one squad and shot the entire match together. Every stage, the instructors gave us a walkthrough of the stage; gave us some ideas to think about, and some tricks that were invaluable. As each student came to the line, the instructors were coaching and talking us through the process. While we were shooting, the instructors would be giving us positive feedback, which at times helped, but sometimes was a little distracting.

I did have a few issues with the overall experience.

- They do not have any type of living quarters on the property. I asked about this, and someone told me that they were planning on adding this in the future. So you have to factor in hotel costs if you are creating a budget. I think having an open bay, barracks style building with bunk beds for “free” lodging would be beneficial. I know not everyone will want to stay in barracks, so I would also build a building with 12x12 rooms with twin bed, wall locker, and latrine. The “private” rooms could be reserved for a minimal fee, which would likely pay for themselves eventually.

- It was really nice to have lunch provided (subs/chips/cookie). I think some type of snack stand or small restaurant would greatly increase the satisfaction of customers. This also could be a lucrative add-on for the business.

- In the lodge (which reminded me of an upscale golf course club house) there was a retail section that contained guns and gear. There was a pretty good selection, but in the 15 minutes I looked around, I wasn’t asked if I needed any assistance by any of the USSA staff. I had a few questions, but didn’t really want to chase anyone down, or make someone do something they really didn’t want to do.

- An outline of the course was given out on the first day, but it was very skeletal, and we really didn’t follow it. I expected more structure from an organisation with its roots in military and law enforcement. Using the Terminal Learning Objective (TLO) and Enabling Learning Objective (ELO) methodology could greatly improve this aspect.

- Timelines. Maybe it’s just me, but it bugs the crap out of me when someone sets a timeline and doesn’t stick to it. I understand that things will come up every now and then, but repeated occurances are not isolated incidents. We never started anything on time during this course. I think if I’m going to pay $600 dollars for training, then training should start on time, every time. If students are late, it’s their fault; they will have to deal with it later and ask the instructor to catch them up on their own time, not my time. Instructors should be on the premises no less than 30 minutes prior to class; the range/classroom should be prepped and ready to go NLT 15 minutes prior to class; students should be expected to be seated or on the range, with gear on, magazines loaded, and ready to pull the trigger at the time the class starts. I imagine we lost more than an hour due the non-adherence to time-lines.

- Take home information. We were given a few “handouts” containing valuable information. However, I think most people will end up misplacing the hand-outs since no one really seemed to have anything to keep them in. I think a three ring binder containing the handouts in page protectors, a few blank pages to take notes, a couple ink pens, and a contact sheet would have been a great educational tool for USSA to provide the students with. Or, have some sort of bound “manual” that is given out.

- The information received prior to the course was minimal, contradicted information on the website, and did not give a “show-time”. I think having the course outline, release paperwork, and contact information paperwork sent in advance would save time. Also having the lead instructor review all the information would help to. (The instructors weren’t aware of what information we received)

- There was a problem throughout the class, when it came to instructors knowing the students names, as well as the students knowing each others’ names. We were provided with those cheap peel-off name tags, but no one used them. This problem could be solved by providing each student with two t-shirts, or a t-shirt and a hat, with their names printed on the apparel. This is seen on sponsor shirts all the time, and really decreases the awkwardness when you don’t know someone’s name, or forget someone’s name. Not only would this help in learning each other’s names in the class, it would be free marketing and advertising for USSA since these shirts will inevitably be worn to matches all over the country. I also think that a couple seven dollar t-shirts would be nice tangible item to have after spending $600 dollars.

continued in next thread........................................

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
- Having enough targets seemed to be a problem throughout the course. I think we had to call three or four times to have extra targets brought out.

- Since it rained the first day, the ground was wet for the rest of the course. Due to this, we did not get to train on shooting from the prone or kneeling positions. Having a few large tarps on hand could have mitigated this issue.

- We did not receive any instruction covering the different types of moving targets, how they move, and the best way to engage them.

- Although the instructors were obviously great shooters, had the required amount of technical knowledge, and had a firm grasp on the subjects they taught, there were times I questioned the instructing methodology itself. Again, this really falls under the organization piece mentioned earlier. In my opinion, there could be some improvement in the way the material is presented and reinforced. I think an outcomes based training (OBT) model would solve the majority of this issue.

Overall, the class was an experience that I will never forget. I learned techniques I would never learn anywhere else. Not only did I get some awesome training, but I made some new friends. The instructors all gave us their phone numbers and email addresses with a promise of assistance in the future.

I can honestly say I went to the class a good shooter, left there a really good shooter, with the knowledge of how to make myself a great shooter.

Taking all things into consideration, I would give the course an A-. I think the content is great; the facilities are one of the best in the nation; the instructors well qualified, and as always, a bad day at the range beats a good day at work. There are a few areas that, in my opinion, need improvement, and there are aspects that if improved, would set USSA above other shooting schools.

The items above are intended as constructive criticism with hopes that the USSA staff will take them into consideration and allow future students to experience an even more beneficial course.

If you are looking for a way to improve your pistol shooting skills and take your competition game to the next level, you need to attend this course. You can read all the books you want, talk to people on forums, and listen to the “expert” at your local gun store, but until you spend time with one of the top Grand Masters in the industry, you will just be spinning your wheels.

Brad Gannaway
Alabama Shooters Association

acpjosh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for your report. It is well written and informitive, but the class did not have to wait for me and my guys to set up the bay, and as for targets, well Im not going to take three boxes out there at one time because they sometimes grow feet, if ya catch my drift. The t-shirt is a great idea for the competition class! I am going to print your assesment and give it to the director of training. I thank you for coming out.

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for your report. It is well written and informitive, but the class did not have to wait for me and my guys to set up the bay, and as for targets, well Im not going to take three boxes out there at one time because they sometimes grow feet, if ya catch my drift. The t-shirt is a great idea for the competition class! I am going to print your assesment and give it to the director of training. I thank you for coming out.

I totally understand the issue with logistic losses; we deal with it on a regular basis in the military. Maybe there is a tracking system of sort, or a way to mitigate the risk, or maybe not......These are just my observations as a student and customer who doesn't know a single thing about the inner workings of the Academy.

I sent Mike a link to the post on my website, but I'm sure it would not hurt for him to have a hard copy.

I will be back sometime before August to take another class. I'm trying to talk my wife into taking the CQT240 class with me. We'll see.

tams72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A great class is also not possible with great students. You guys and gals all were wonderful. You were like sponges! I even learned a few cool things too from each and every one of you! Thank you for being my teachers too!!!

blutch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Brad, as someone who is looking into the courses for the summer months, I REALLY appreciate the detail of your review. You offered constructive criticism in a very professional and helpful manner. I think that it is wonderful that you just didn't post a "rave" even though the course was really good. Thanks very much.

B

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Last night, I was organizing all the hand outs I received during the course and I realized that we DID received a "Learning Objective" type hand out. It did cover what we were going to learn and work on.

It is a decent product, and could have been very useful, but we really did not refer to it at all during the course. I think that if at the beginning of every "section" during a course the instructors reviewed what was about to happen, the desired outcome, and how it fits into the big picture..........then at the conclusion of that portion, discussed with the students if the outcome was met, it could greatly enhance the learning enviroment. (This is the basic tenent behind OBT&E)

I'd love to consult on the instructing, training methodology and framework with the guys at USSA for a few weekends. It's what I want to do when I get out of the Army anyway. I've spent all this time studying, training, and instructing in the Military, it seems a waste to brain dump all this information and not use it for continuing adult education in the firearms industry.

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to consult on the instructing, training methodology and framework with the guys at USSA for a few weekends.
.............. Have you read our instructor bios? Wasnt the 110 your first class at USSA? If so, how can you base your opinion about our trainig program on a competition class? Your initial review was ok, but now you are being silly. If you dont mind saying, how long have you been serving(thanks for doing so) what is your shooter class in USPSA? Finally, do you know that millitary units come to USSA for training? Take the 240,231,210, or any other classes, then formulate an opinion on our program. Come out for the 240, I will actually have some time to be a student this time.

Come on man. You've got to read what I wrote, and actually comprehend it before you start berating.

Yes, I have read the instructor bios, and they are probably some of the most impressive in terms of experience, but I didn't see much on actual instruction education or training methodologies.

Yes, 110 was my first class. I've been evaluating instructors, their presentation, and delivery methods for a few years in the Army. I also have a BA in education and am about to begin my MBA. I feel I have a little knowledge and experience in regards to instructing techniques, and I'd like to use this experience when I get out.

I've been in the Army for 15 years. What's the difference?

I am a U class in USPSA because my first match was in January. What's the difference? Is that how you guys judge the validity of someone's posts and their overall shooting ability?

And yes, I know that military units come and train there. In fact, I worked directly with the unit that was there this week between MAR08-MAY08 on some significant ops, but I'm sure that doesn't mean anything to you. I myself have attended some of the other civilian run schools like G-group and m-south, and they are adamant about recording AAR comments and implementing the useful recommendations.

I think you may have misunderstood my post. If you will notice, I only had positive things to say about the training content; my "needs improvement" comments were concerning the prep work, delivery and follow through of the material. I didn't say I could instruct better, I just think that I could use my knowledge to improve the structure.

You don't have to "defend" USSA, I'm sure they would rather not have this type of publicity from an employee. Both your posts were not very beneficial to this thread and I'd appreciate it if you would restrain from posting needless come backs on this thread unless they contain something constructive.

I don't know what your background is, but it seems as if you are in over your head on this one. If you'd like to talk further, then you can call or PM me.

BG

acpjosh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I meant no disrespect in anyway. Im not very good at putting word to paper. When you said "consult", it was taken a different way than what you meant it, by more than just me. Having answered the questions I asked and sharing your history, it does help to understand. I will say that the best way to "consult", is the way you did in your first post in this section. Take some more classes and write reviews in the same manner, well written and informative . You might look into being an adjunct instructor. Thanks

hd_rider13

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now I understand; It was the "consult" that was misunderstood.

I think when you say "adjutant" instructor, and I "consult" we are saying the same thing. I've been sent to other units to consult on different aspects of the unit.

In the business world, there are these entities called "management consultants" or "organization consultants". If you've seen the movie Office Space, then you've seen a parody of these type of posititons. The two "Bobs" were consultants.

I didn't intend to convey "consulting" as a derogatory remark. What I literally meant was "I would like to come and do some contract work for USSA and work on ciriculum structure". Hell, I'd even take free slots in classes as pay.

I haven't contacted anyone at USSA about this, since I just assumed they have enough people working there and my assessments are probably on the low end of the priority list. That doesn't bother me; but I felt the need to write something up in an "issue/discussion/recomendation" format for others who are contemplating attending a course.

Thanks Josh. I'll hit you up if I get back that way.

Latest posts

Top Bottom