USSA CQT 240 Class Review 3/27/10-3/28/10

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdalover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This past weekend i had the pleasure and privilledge of taking my 5th USSA course. (CQT240)
The other courses I've taken have given me an excellent foundation of shooting skills and knowledge. However, this course has clearly made the greatest impact on me. After this weekend, i have a better understanding of my strengths and weaknesses when it comes to saving my life. My future mindset and training approach are forever changed for the better. This class has helped me to add an arsenal of tools (mindset, knowledge, technique, problem solving, stress management, confidence, adrenaline control, just to name a few) to my survival tool box.

For most of us who carry a gun on a daily basis, i would think it reasonable to assume you carry for that "just in case, worst case scenario." The question is do you train for that worst case scenario. If your training for worst case scenarios are quick holster draws for a properly placed shot on a paper or steel target and doing quick magazine changes and tap/rack for jams or misfires, then i think you are off to a good start. However, you are barely touching the surface of issues you will face and try to overcome in a worst case scenario.

This course will provide those worst case scenarios for you. Live Human attackers (maybe armed, maybe not), Live Innocent bystanders, Carjackings, Mugging, Assaults, Robberies. When was the last time your paper or steel target shot back, punched back, pushed back, shot first, or tried to take your gun? Ever wondered if you could get your gun out in a fight rolling around on the ground? Ever tried fighting for your life in the confines of a car while you are seat-belted in and the attacker has a gun? Ever wondered what it's like to be in a borderline shoot or don't shoot situation and see what decisions you will make under stress and adrenaline? Ever wondered what you would say after a self defense shooting to both the 911 operator or first responding law enforcement? Think you can access and/or open a folding blade in a physical struggle? How easy and common is it for your gun to jam during a physical struggle? What's your ability to tap/rack your gun in a fight for your life? How easy is it to make a magazine change in a close quarters environment during a fight for you life? Can you get to your back up gun? Could you get to a fixed blade? Should you have waited to draw your gun or did you miss your chance? Does your gun carry enough bullets? Are you carrying self defense tools that can/will work for you during an attack? How well do your fine motor skills work when the adrenaline bomb drops?

This class answered all of the above questions for me and many more. If you want to find out the answers to the above questions as they pertain to you, the CQT240 class is the way to go. The instructors Mike Brown, Brandon Bennett, Dave Pyle, and the team of role players were extremely professional, extremely knowledgeable and it was obvious they were trying to give us the tools for saving our lives. They work together like a well oiled machine. Between both Saturday and Sunday they gave us over 2 extra hours of priceless bonus training. Best gun related item i've spent my hard earned money on.

I highly, 110% recommend before you buy your next gun, light, laser, nightsights, holster, etc. you take this class. Space is limited and Im already signed up to do it again and take one of those spaces. I hope this post helps you to help yourself.

Bobby

hotwire22

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was also in the class with the OP and can reaffirm everything he stated. First and foremost was the professionalism of the role players and the instructors. The role players brought pressure on each individual as they saw fit in order to push the person to his limits but to allow him to learn from the experience. The safety aspects were made very clear and everyone adhered to strict rules concerning the introduction of live ammunition or firearms or blades intot he training scenario.

Because you have a concealed carry permit does not make you safe. In fact, unless you train for the Close Quarters engagements we experienced in this class you cannot imagine the intensity, speed, and violence that occurs in a bad situation. You will not be able to get out your gun, you won't do a tactical reload, you won't clear a malfunction. You have to buy yourself time and opportunity. And to do that you have to be able to fight from a position of way behind the power curve to bring yourself even. Then maybe you will get your pistol out with out having it stripped from you and used on you or your loved ones.

I simply cannot describe the change in attitude and perspective this class gave me. Spend less money on ammo for quick draw practice and use that time and money for some basic combative training. Trust me... at the range these real life engagements take place... you will make your shots.

If you make it to your pistol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom