USSA Tactical Rifle 230 11/6-11/8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this was my first carbine course and I thought I'd give a little follow up on how everything went:
Our instructor was Mike Seeklander, this guy is a phenominal shot (obviously) and a really really good instructor. There were only 4 other guys in the class besides me so the small class was great. The weather was absolutely perfect, you couldn't have asked for any better. On day one it started out with about 3 hours of classroom time going over safety, ballistics, and an overview of what we would be doing. After class the rest of the day was spent mostly zeroing the rifles and practicing proper stance. On day two we go over a lot of malfunction and clearing techniques which is extremely stressful in a pretty much zero stress envrioment, I can't imagine having to deal with a malfunction in a truly stressful enviroment. We also did quite a bit of shooting from 7,10, 25, 50, and 100 yards, along with a lot of pistol transitions. Also some drills shooting around cover. Day 3 we did some long range stuff, shooting two targets from tons of different positions from a truck (which was a blast). Then last but not least we hit the shoothouse up which was freakin awesome. We practiced proper room-clearing techniques and engaging targets when there was friendly and hostile targets both in the same room. All in all I learned so much, I need to hit the range soon and practice all this stuff. Mike is a great guy, a ridiculous shot, and really enjoyed having him as an instructor.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so how loud was it shooting in the shoot house. we used simumintions in there during the cqt course and that was even pretty loud couldnt imagine a 16" carbine......

this one is on my list when i get back from basic hopefully by then i can get myself another AR15.

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they recommend irons or a quality red dot set up for this particular class. From what i have read/ heard about the course, it seems more close quarters orientented than long range, so if you have to go with a magnified optic like a scope/ acog something between 1-4x would be the most useful given the distances they are shooting.

So what were the other guys running in the class if you dont mind mentioning Barlow?

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well this was my first carbine course and I thought I'd give a little follow up on how everything went:
Our instructor was Mike Seeklander, this guy is a phenominal shot (obviously) and a really really good instructor. There were only 4 other guys in the class besides me so the small class was great. The weather was absolutely perfect, you couldn't have asked for any better. On day one it started out with about 3 hours of classroom time going over safety, ballistics, and an overview of what we would be doing. After class the rest of the day was spent mostly zeroing the rifles and practicing proper stance. On day two we go over a lot of malfunction and clearing techniques which is extremely stressful in a pretty much zero stress envrioment, I can't imagine having to deal with a malfunction in a truly stressful enviroment. We also did quite a bit of shooting from 7,10, 25, 50, and 100 yards, along with a lot of pistol transitions. Also some drills shooting around cover. Day 3 we did some long range stuff, shooting two targets from tons of different positions from a truck (which was a blast). Then last but not least we hit the shoothouse up which was freakin awesome. We practiced proper room-clearing techniques and engaging targets when there was friendly and hostile targets both in the same room. All in all I learned so much, I need to hit the range soon and practice all this stuff. Mike is a great guy, a ridiculous shot, and really enjoyed having him as an instructor.

Good on you man!!!!!!! Seeklander is one of my favorite instructors!!!

Ive Got to get up there and do this class...

jcbarlow

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so how loud was it shooting in the shoot house. we used simumintions in there during the cqt course and that was even pretty loud couldnt imagine a 16" carbine......

It felt like the whole place shook everytime a round was fired, it was loud...very loud.

What kind of optics were they suggesting for the platform? I'm guessing something "heads up"?
On the class outline it just says "red dot sight" I think, everyone was running Eotechs, including myself, and one other guy was shooting just irons.

My gun ran fantastic, absolutely no hiccups whatsoever, the optic worked great, I love it even more after this class, and every bit of ammo I used I reloaded myself and no issues there either so all in all everything went great.

Latest posts

Top Bottom