USSA Tactical Rifle 230

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickett235

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I signed up for the class later this month. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect, what gear to take, ect. I am taking a DPMS AP4 and an M&P 40. The AR is as it came with the exception of a Muller 2-7 X 32. I have a Millett Zoom Dot if that would be a better choice. Need sugestions for a sling. This is the first class like this that i have taken and do not want to show up unprepared or without the right gear to get the most out of the class.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not taken any USSA classes but I have taken numerous "tactical" type rifle classes. You do not want that magnified optic on there. I would be worried about the Millett making it through the class also. If you have iron sights I would just use those. If you have a buddy that has an AR also I'd borrow it just so you have a spare in case yours goes down. (and no that's not a bash on DPMS before the hobby shooters jump on me it's just always good to bring a spare) As for gear just keep it simple and don't get all tactical squirrel ninja. I usually just run three bladetech pouches on my duty belt and one pistol mag. As for slings I prefer single points or an adjustable two point like the VTAC or Vickers. I would google and see if there are any AAR's from USSA classes and find some pictures from classes and look at the setups people are running. Or look at TDSA's website since I know they have a good photo album. Different school I know but the gear will be the same. The biggest thing is have good ammo and mags and make sure your rifle is cleaned and lubed and you should be fine. Drink LOTS of water also. As tacmedic says if you aren't peeing every hour you're not drinking enough. It would suck to spend all that money and not get the most of it cause you're dragging balls.

saryan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I signed up for the class later this month. Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect, what gear to take, ect. I am taking a DPMS AP4 and an M&P 40. The AR is as it came with the exception of a Muller 2-7 X 32. I have a Millett Zoom Dot if that would be a better choice. Need sugestions for a sling. This is the first class like this that i have taken and do not want to show up unprepared or without the right gear to get the most out of the class.

Any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

You need to be able to keep at least 2 mags on you besides the one in your rifle. Most of your shots will be within 50 yards. Whatever scope you are going to keep on the rifle, use in the class. It may not be the best for close range but if its what you are going to have on it then you better get used to it. A MagLula for the AR can be nice when downloading and loading mags. If you use a bug out bag then use one in the class. A good sling is a must! 6 mags. I can discuss in more detail over the phone so feel free to call me or email me.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on the Viking Tactics (VTAC) sling & the AR Lula mag loader. Both items will be must have gear when you start shooting the 3 gun matches with us too. I like the Bladetech mag pouches for the AR as well. I have a Millet DMS-1 that's a 1-4 thats sitting in the safe that you can try at the class if you like. If your going to buy a bunch of mags just for the class go get a variety of sizes. I like the 30 round magpul pmags with window, the 40 cmmg or Cproducts steel mag which works great for monopodding on long range rifle course. Firebird Precision makes a kick a$$ pmag mag coupler that also works great as a monpod as well. Last but definitely not least the Nordic components pmag extension that turns a regular old pmag into a 48 round ammo depot. I also really like the Arredondo magazine base pads to help protect your mags when dropping them on concrete or other hard surfaces and they are great for monopding too.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will preface this again by saying I've never trained at ussa but I think steves advice is bad about the scope. I usually agree with the rule of train with what you will use but also you have to look at maybe he has that scope on there cause he doesn't know any better. I will bet you that after he receives this training he will see that it is not ideal for this type of shooting. I would rather someone attend their first training class with irons and wish they had used their optic then go in already behind the curve by using equipment not suited for the class and struggle with it all weekend. Besides that everyone I know that can smoke with irons are just that much better with an optic. This is just my experience from attending these types of classes. Steve works for ussa and maybe their classes are different the tdsa or Magpul or anycleet clas I've attended and a cheap (no offense) high powered variable optic won't be as much of a hinderence as it would have been in every class I've been to.

saryan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I will preface this again by saying I've never trained at ussa but I think steves advice is bad about the scope. I usually agree with the rule of train with what you will use but also you have to look at maybe he has that scope on there cause he doesn't know any better. I will bet you that after he receives this training he will see that it is not ideal for this type of shooting. I would rather someone attend their first training class with irons and wish they had used their optic then go in already behind the curve by using equipment not suited for the class and struggle with it all weekend. Besides that everyone I know that can smoke with irons are just that much better with an optic. This is just my experience from attending these types of classes. Steve works for ussa and maybe their classes are different the tdsa or Magpul or anycleet clas I've attended and a cheap (no offense) high powered variable optic won't be as much of a hinderence as it would have been in every class I've been to.

I agree with that Josh. Didnt think about that. Also BIG +1 on the VTAC Sling. We have them at the academy and the mounts to go with them if needed.
You really need irons in the class. Your scope must be able to be removed at some point as well. I went through a 230 with a 2.5-10 NF scope with a red dot on the side of the scope. Most of the time I used my red dot but I did to some drills using the 2.5x. It was not ideal, but at one point my red dot had some mud fall on it and rendered it useless, had to switch the 2.5x to finish the drill. I had guys with ACOGS in that class as well that didnt have the donut reticle or chevron reticle. Made it work. I agree with you it is not ideal (the reason I dont have my NF anymore). Irons will do great in the class and you will use them at some point regardless. Jesse and Josh are right on. I was to lazy to type out all my thoughts on this. Your scope/optic preference really has more to do with what you plan on doing with the rifle. Why are you taking the class? 3 Gun? Just to be better? Self Defense? If you need a 2-10 and thats whats going on your rifle you can make it work. Is it the best? No. A eotech or aimpoint would be the best for the class. But if you put a eotech on your rifle to train, and then take it off when you get home you wont be getting the most out of the training. Thats what I was trying to say. I didnt have time and still dont to type out all my thoughts on this. Here is a little on what to expect in the class:
Drills from 5-30 yards
Shooting under cars
Shooting from small cover
transitioning to weak hand
transitioning to pistol
clearing a shoot house
shooting from 100-300
reloads
failure drills
hammered pair drills

pickett235

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only thing that i have done with this rifle is shoot at paper from a bench. Looks like the scope comes off and a learn with the irons which makes sense, learn low tech and you can only get better. I will pick up a VTAC sling and some blade tech mag holders before the class. The mags i have are various brands and standard 30 round with green followers. I have never had feeding issues with them but have not used the gun like it will be in the class. Should I look at getting a few mags?

What is likely to fail on the rifle. I have a couple of other ARs (bushmaster and colt h-bar) that have longer barrels. Should I bring the lowers and BCG?

I have never had any formal fire arm training and picked this for my starting place. I plan on taking some pistol and shotgun classes as well. 3 gun competition looks like a lot of fun but will be hard for me to get to as the comps seem to be on sundays.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. That is exactly what i was looking for. How about a holster for the M&P 40? The only one that I have is an IWB.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would bring as many mags as you can get your hands on and load most of them up before class. It sucks having to rush to load mags on breaks when you should resting of taking notes or drinking water. I use either pmags or aluminum ones from Brownells with the Magpul follower.

Anything can fail on the rifle but most likely the trigger or something in the bcg would be the most likely. I'd just take your complete spare rifle.

You will need a good rigid belt if you are going to use bladetech pouches. Either a duty belt or a riggers style belt. Or another option is a basic chest rig like the eagle m4le.

I personally wouldnt use an IWB holster for this type of class. You can get the injection molded bladetech belt holsters for around $30 and that's what I'd use.

saryan

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The only thing that i have done with this rifle is shoot at paper from a bench. Looks like the scope comes off and a learn with the irons which makes sense, learn low tech and you can only get better. I will pick up a VTAC sling and some blade tech mag holders before the class. The mags i have are various brands and standard 30 round with green followers. I have never had feeding issues with them but have not used the gun like it will be in the class. Should I look at getting a few mags?

What is likely to fail on the rifle. I have a couple of other ARs (bushmaster and colt h-bar) that have longer barrels. Should I bring the lowers and BCG?

I have never had any formal fire arm training and picked this for my starting place. I plan on taking some pistol and shotgun classes as well. 3 gun competition looks like a lot of fun but will be hard for me to get to as the comps seem to be on sundays.

Thanks for the suggestions and advice. That is exactly what i was looking for. How about a holster for the M&P 40? The only one that I have is an IWB.

Although I am a "train with what you use" guy I have to agree with Josh. The IWB holster wont be doing you any favors. Pick up a holster that has some sort of retention for the class. You will also need mag holders for the pistol. We have some good holsters here and if you just want to try one I have one you can borrow. We also have some Pmags and the safariland rifle pouches. If you want to wear a chest rig then thats fine. A good solid belt is a must though. I used a "go bag" in my class part of the time. It was one of the Larue Rifle go bags. It worked great and actually after using it Erik Lund went out and he uses one now in some of his duties. Starting with irons is a great idea. When you come on make sure and look me up. We have a place you can clean your weapon if needed, just bring your own cleaning stuff.
I know this is a lot of random thoughts but I just want to make sure you get the most out of the class.

Latest posts

Top Bottom