USSA Tactical Rifle 230

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Jesse...never type drunk, it is a rule I am still trying to learn, but it is still a rule. Oh BTW my wife saw your name in my e-mails and wanted to know who this Jesse girl was...you want to see dominance???? Wait untill she gets hold of you! KurtM

Oh and Mr. Brown I had just sat down to do a little essay on "dominance in training" when this caught my "eye"

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry Steve I ran on, on that first bit. I didn't mean to imply that you thought the TA-01 was a bad choice, that was more for Josh-L.

KurtM

Really? Where did I say an ACOG was a bad choice? You honestly believe he'd be better off going to a class that is mainly 30 yards and in with a $100 2-7 scope with who knows what kind of reticle without even knowing what his eye dominance is to begin with? I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree that it takes a long time to learn iron sights. I don't think anyone would argue that a red dot is better but it wouldn't have helped him if I said go drop $500 on an Aimpoint. But I'm just out here in tactical land trying to help a guy with his first class based on my experiences. I'm standing by to attend a KurtM two or three day non competition based rifle course also. One day at TDSA wasn't enough to soak in all your knowledge obviously lol.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually we know what kind of reticle it is because it is a Mueller optic and we know what reticle a Millett zoom dot has so this isn't an unknown, and BOTH would work very well. I am saying to him, use what you have, and what you have used...just like Steve first posted....I am NOT saying go get a dot, which in my OPINION is not nearly as good as a good set of Irons.

The ACOGS ALL have at least 2.5 magnification and your statement " you don't want that magnified optic on there"(post #2) would indicate that magnification is bad in your mind, so you are in fact telling him to change his gear. A Millett or Mueller scope will last as long as any under the harsh recoil of 5.56X45 so there really is no reason to change what he is already used to.

If irons were easy to learn the Military wouldn't be getting away from them...cause believe it or not a good set of irons is A LOT cheaper than a good red dot and no batteries are ever needed.

As for the TDSA class, I wasn't the lead instructor, I was just there to see how they were running their class and see Billy who I hadn't seen for a while, so my interaction with students wasn't very involved.

I don't really do any 2-3 day rifle classes (although I am being talked into a long range competition based two day class) Mine usually run 5-6 and the next one will be at Ft. Campbell in the fall, but it isn't an "open" class. I find that there are more than enough "muzzle to 100yard tactical classes" that to offer one is to shovel sand against the sea, and past that there just aren't many who do it, or teach it, so I don't see myself ever offering one. And no I am not talking about precision shooting like a Sniper school I am talking the use of a carbine out to the distance it is effective 450-500m or so. KurtM

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know what reticles Muehller uses and when I did a search there were several. I guess he PM'd you with the exact model he was using.

"That magnified optic" referred to his magnified optic. Not magnified optics in general because I am a fan of the 1 - 4 variables. But a high quality one that doesn't have eye relief issues or head position issues and have a usable reticle. We will have to agree to disagree on whether or not a Mueller would "last as long as any". I seriously doubt one could take the abuse that a Short Dot or Triji accupoint could take though.

I would suspect the .mil is going to optics because they make our trigger pullers more effective and not as an easy way out to teaching how to shoot good with irons. I'm not in the .mil though nor am I a .mil trainer. It seems ironic though that you say nothing beats irons but yet they are going away from them and from your comments you would appear to be teaching them.

PS... I'd be down for a 5 to 6 day class as well. I'll even shoot it irons only...

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ahhhh you are right Josh....for all of this, as for the class I doubt there is anything I could teach you. Maybe I could get a few classes from you instead

Mueller 2-7X comes with the Multi purpose cross hair illuminated or not...look it up, it is all it comes with.

Millet Zoom Dot looks a lot like an Aim Point and is a dot scope. Look it up. Both are KNOWN entities, but you are right!

I never said irons were easy to learn, they are hard to learn to use well, and requier constant live fire to maintain...which costs lots of $$ for the masses of infantry to be trained. Once you do learn them they are better than a red dot at CARBINE ranges ...TO ME...but you are right!

Just because I like iron sights better doesn't mean I don't know how to use or teach scopes....but you are right!

Back to the class I would run what I have and after using it quite a bit for a couple of days I will either really like what I opted for or will have a whole new direction to go with a lot of good reasons behind me for the change. Steve had it right, use what you have.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Kurt you crack me up man. Why do you insist on be a condescending dick in every discussion you're involved in? We disagree about what sighting system should be used. Who cares? There doesn't have to be a winner. On your first post you could have simply replied... "I disagree with Josh and think you should use.... based on my experience which is....". No need for little jabs and disecting peoples comments line by line.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Eric Lund and the Collins Brothers taught a great class and it was a lot of fun. Lots of good info exchanged. I was amazed how accurate I could shoot laying on my side with the gun on the ground and the shoot house was a blast. I learned a lot about equipment, like don't get a cheap buis as mine fell off during the class and I learned that cheap steel cased ammo would get me in trouble as I ripped a case during the high stress shootout and my rifle was out of commission and I had to engage 100 yrd targets with a pistol. Thanks to all the instructors. I got my moneys worth.

pickett235

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
USSA is a first class operation. All of the staff went out of their way to help with anything needed. Steve, thanks for letting me use the mag pouches. Range Master(sorry did not get your name), thanks for letting me use a bay before class. A couple of the guys had problems with their weapons and there was help to get them back up and running. If you need firearms training you can not go wrong at USSA.

Eric (shirts are comin off) Lund is a great instructor. If you get the chance to take one of the courses he is instructing you will walk away with confidence in the knew knowledge that you have. Jeff and Chris Collins were great as well.

Latest posts

Top Bottom