Ussa

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradley Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
despite having a state of the art club house and pro shop.

Is that what that was? I didn't know you could shoot in the club house. Looked like a gun store to me.

Also, RED CASTLE has a state of the art INDOOR PISTOL RANGE in Tulsa...

Most people seem to forget that.

600 bucks a year to shoot plates which requires almost nothing from the club but space and plates is ridiculously expensive to me. I have been to "state of the art" shooting ranges... I lived in Ohio for many years and I have been to Camp Perry for example... which is "state of the art". The little rifle club I belonged to in eastern Ohio had the same practical level of facilities as USSA (no one needs 20-30 shooting bays, it's just overhead) and it cost me $15 a year.

When I said it was set up as a training facility I meant that is why it is so huge and repetitive... The same type facilities over and over...

The thread was started to garner opinions. That is my opinion. Red Castle is the best bargain by far. Red Castle is not set up for modern action shooting however.

Jeff Hughes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As far as top competitive shooters heard of Mike Seeklander or Diane Liedorf? They are both USSA instructors.

90% of the training at USSA is self defense oriented. Very few of the students in the 20/month training group compete. They are normal people who want to be trained to defend themselves, their families, and their homes. In the last six months I've had classes from a FBI Special Agent, a Top Shot finalist, the former US Air Marshal Director of Training, multiple Tulsa cops, a former FAST Company member, and two former Green Berets. Not only are these folks great shooters, but the are great instructors as well, and most of them don't compete.

I get it, if you want the least expensive(before gas) range, Red Castle is the place.

If you want to be able to shoot ten minutes from Tulsa and have access to some of the top instructors(at an incredible bargain in the context of defensive training) in the country then USSA is the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeff Hughes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I

600 bucks a year to shoot plates which requires almost nothing from the club but space and plates is ridiculously expensive to me. I have been to "state of the art" shooting ranges... I lived in Ohio for many years and I have been to Camp Perry for example... which is "state of the art". The little rifle club I belonged to in eastern Ohio had the same practical level of facilities as USSA (no one needs 20-30 shooting bays, it's just overhead) and it cost me $15 a year.

When I said it was set up as a training facility I meant that is why it is so huge and repetitive... The same type facilities over and over...

The thread was started to garner opinions. That is my opinion. Red Castle is the best bargain by far. Red Castle is not set up for modern action shooting however.

It's 30/month without training, same as 2A.

Many weekends every bay is in use.

If you are not going to take advantage of the training offered at USSA, it's probably not worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bradley Walker

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
No one offered me $30 a month when I was there... I heard $50 a month... and the time I called before that is was $60 a month???

I guess they keep dropping the price.

I was really turned off by the whole tactical/combat/anti terrorist/military slant on their sales pitch from the guy that showed me around. I guess I don't run around and play soldier. I am not a soldier, a police officer, I am not going to be in private security, and I don't plan on joining SWAT any time soon.

I keep hearing this word "training". I am not "training" when I go to the shooting range. USSA refers to itself as a "training facility" and it was certainly BUILT to be "training facility" for the military and police by the original owner. I guess that is your thing USSA is the place to go...

Hey, to each is own. I know there are lot of people who want to pretend they are training to be in special ops or something... It might become very popular. Like living in live video game... I know those cowboy shooters are the most popular group at Red Castle... they love it... Not my thing at all... HAHA!!!

Jeff Hughes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you look up Mike and Di?

The price depends on the length of contract. No price changes in the last year.

It's too bad they did not communicate better to you what the training program is really about. It is not a "tactical/combat/anti terrorist/military" deal, it's about knowing how to react if some dirtbag jumps you in a parking lot, or busts into your home, and more than that, knowing how to avoid those situations.

You are clearly put off by the word training.

You should really come out to a handgun class sometime. PM me and I will arrange for you to attend a couple at no cost. You'll be shooting with a wide cross section of society who think it's important to be well prepared for situations that hopefully never happen(but might).

Latest posts

Top Bottom