Utility Bill Shock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s quite a drama. Lots of officials scrambling to deflect the blame or obscure the shortcomings of their planning. When the news reports cite the ridiculous prices paid for energy during the scramble to keep the Texas grid functioning, I could not help but recall Enron and the fact that it was a Texas company.

I’m reading speculation that the Left might somehow have set Texas up for this fall. It seems half way plausible: dangle money in front of powerful individuals to invest in the wrong sorts of power systems that would inevitably fail when a strong enough cold snap occurred. More likely it was just short term thinking and greed for quick profits.

I made the statement from the get go that the energy "crisis" was mostly red states and retaliation for supporting trump. I have been told I was wrong. I still stand by my beliefs.

There is no doubt that wells and pumps froze, but there is enough gas in reserves to handle the situation and the means to get it to the power stations that use it as well as homes. If the gov of texas had the means to order additional power be generated, emissions output be damned, then he should have regardless of what the feds may have ordered.

Aku

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever the increased bills are, the Southwest Power Pool should pay. I can't and don't believe that a situation like what happened has not been thought about and planned for. If not, then there is either criminal negligence, or intentional harm, going on.
The other utility to be looking at is water. Most municipalities around here have increased water rates. I'm expecting a water bill that could be staggering too.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I expect we're going to get some really high bills next month. Sticker shock gonna be crazy around the region.
My wife was checking our OGE account the other day and it was projecting our next bill to be just under $400! It is usually no more than $160 this time of year. Talk about ripping us off. We haven’t used anymore than we normally do. I usually don’t even run my heat during the day or evening as when I get home I always have a fire going. Well when it’s cold and enough. The bedrooms get cold but I like it that way.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whatever the increased bills are, the Southwest Power Pool should pay. I can't and don't believe that a situation like what happened has not been thought about and planned for. If not, then there is either criminal negligence, or intentional harm, going on.
The other utility to be looking at is water. Most municipalities around here have increased water rates. I'm expecting a water bill that could be staggering too.
Here it’s Shawnee they have said they do not even have enough chemicals to treat the water because the usage was so high during the storm. They had numerous pipes break and that caused a lot of the water to be wasted. Still today they have a boil warning for all water. I am on a well out By earlsboro so it doesn’t effect us but my wife does work at the Shawnee hospital now and they can’t drink the water.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Im on average monthly billing.

I am as well for my Gas, but not electric due to the way the average monthly billing is calculated differently.

ONG uses a rolling 12 month average to calculate the monthly payment.

PSO maintains a balance of your money. When I quit the PSO AMP, I had a balance of over $150 of my money that was just sitting there earning PSO some miniscule interest.
PSO uses:
Average Monthly Payment Plan
How It Works:
The AMP plan significantly moderates the monthly bill variation while avoiding the potential of accumulating a large settlement balance, or credit, at the anniversary month. Please note that this is not an equal monthly payment plan.

The monthly payment on the AMP Plan is based on the average of the current month's bill, plus the previous 11 months' bills. Each month, the oldest bill is removed from the computation, and the new current bill is included. As a result, the payment amount will fluctuate slightly from month to month.

The difference between actual billings and the average billings will be carried in a deferred balance that will accumulate both debit and credit differences for the duration of the AMP Plan year (12 consecutive months).

• At the anniversary month, the deferred balance is divided by 12, and this one-twelfth amount is added to (or subtracted from) the average payment amount for the next 12 months.
  • Settlement occurs only when participation in the plan is terminated. The AMP Plan is not to be used to defer payment of delinquent bills.

1911Sooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am as well for my Gas, but not electric due to the way the average monthly billing is calculated differently.

ONG uses a rolling 12 month average to calculate the monthly payment.

PSO maintains a balance of your money. When I quit the PSO AMP, I had a balance of over $150 of my money that was just sitting there earning PSO some miniscule interest.
PSO uses:
Average Monthly Payment Plan
How It Works:
The AMP plan significantly moderates the monthly bill variation while avoiding the potential of accumulating a large settlement balance, or credit, at the anniversary month. Please note that this is not an equal monthly payment plan.

The monthly payment on the AMP Plan is based on the average of the current month's bill, plus the previous 11 months' bills. Each month, the oldest bill is removed from the computation, and the new current bill is included. As a result, the payment amount will fluctuate slightly from month to month.

The difference between actual billings and the average billings will be carried in a deferred balance that will accumulate both debit and credit differences for the duration of the AMP Plan year (12 consecutive months).

• At the anniversary month, the deferred balance is divided by 12, and this one-twelfth amount is added to (or subtracted from) the average payment amount for the next 12 months.
  • Settlement occurs only when participation in the plan is terminated. The AMP Plan is not to be used to defer payment of delinquent bills.

Thats interesting. OG&E does it like ONG.

Latest posts

Top Bottom