1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Utility Bill Shock?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dale00, Feb 22, 2021.

1. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I don't know if it has any relationship to the regulated/unregulated areas, but according to their map, SPP serves the Texas panhandle down to somewhere around Lubbock, and part of east Texas that appears to cover Texarkana and possibly Tyler.

I wonder how they did in comparison to the ERCOT areas.

2. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    The unregulated companies that buy and sell on the open market are the issue here. I think one is called Giddy? The regulated companies are only charging their normal rates.

3. n423

n423 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Griddy. The surge in pricing is hitting people who have chosen to pay wholesale prices for their power, which is typically cheaper than paying fixed rates during good weather, but can spike when there’s high demand for electricity. Many of those who have reported receiving large bills are customers of electricity provider Griddy, which operates only in Texas.

Wholesale electricity prices fluctuate based on demand. Because natural gas pipelines and wind turbines froze up in Texas, there was less power available, but high demand for electricity, causing wholesale prices to shoot up, said Joshua Rhodes, an energy research associate at the University of Texas.

dennishoddy likes this.
  4. SlugSlinger

SlugSlinger Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Did a quick check on my usage for the month.

For the month of January, which is the February billing date, there was 18.728 Dekatherms used. Reading my meter, I have used 25.7 Dekatherms so far in February. That equates to $98.15 for the cost of fuel based on the February customer fuel cost/Dth rate.

If the fuel cost remains the same, the variable portion of the bill will go from $71.52 to $98.15. However it's that rate of $3.819 that may be increased substantially due to the spot price of gas going off the charts. I keep hearing, the residential gas companies are going to try to spread out the temporary price increase over the year instead of all the increase hitting in February.

upload_2021-2-24_9-42-27.png

upload_2021-2-24_9-41-32.png

upload_2021-2-24_9-39-38.png

5. MrChris

MrChris Sniper

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I don't need the bill to go into shock, the estimated bill already did that for me.

:scream::scream::scream:

Screenshot_20210224-104105_(1).png

6. MacFromOK

MacFromOK Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
  7. BReeves

BReeves Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    We are on propane, just had the tank filled for $2.89 a gallon. Close to a $2.00 hike from last time we had it filled. Good thing is we should make it till spring/summer before we I'll need to buy propane again. Provided we don't have another mess like we just went through.

8. Jwryan84

Jwryan84 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Damn, you have 5000 sf house? Ours will be about $300 from the estimated bill. All electric and 2400 sf but needs a lot of insulation which will happen in the coming weeks. We moved in last year and didn't take the time to do it and will eat the chit sammich on that. We also burned 2+ ricks of wood, so another $300 for wood

9. SlugSlinger

SlugSlinger Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Hopefully, that big number is just an estimate based on that temporary increased rate. Maybe their system is not smart enough to adjust the estimate with a lower rate we should be seeing now.

10. harley128

harley128 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    97%
    are you saying the last time you filled you paid around $.89 a gallon? When was that--- 1989 ?

Louro and MacFromOK like this.