Utility Bill Shock?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My natural gas bill for Jan was $102.35 and my Feb bill was $111.48. That is the increase in the amount of heating fuel my home used and I paid it, I have yet to understand how I have to pay more over the next 10 years, I paid the $9.13 increase and all bills are paid up to date. I don't believer I used "that much fuel" that it need to be dragged out over the next ten years. I know I'm about to be educated but I still go by the old math 2+2=4. Did I fail to plan ahead or did the utility company fail in their planning?

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you saw the record cold spell coming and they didn't, then you planned ahead and they did not. If you couldn't see it coming, then why would you think they should have?

Using your logic, if you buy a new car, finance it at $300 per month and pay your $300 "bill" the first month, you paid what you were billed, so why should you have to continue to pay for 5-6 more years?

Answer: Your "bill" didn't cover the cost. It was a record setting cold wave, and record setting costs being paid to producers in order to keep supplying you with gas. The alternatives would be either for them to refuse to pay the extra cost for gas and let you go without any gas for several days, or bill you 10x (or whatever the increased costs) to cover all the expense of record prices for record demand. They are selling it to you for MUCH less than they paid for it, and trying to amortize the cost over a period of time, rather than on one bill as they would under normal circumstances.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My natural gas bill for Jan was $102.35 and my Feb bill was $111.48. That is the increase in the amount of heating fuel my home used and I paid it, I have yet to understand how I have to pay more over the next 10 years, I paid the $9.13 increase and all bills are paid up to date. I don't believer I used "that much fuel" that it need to be dragged out over the next ten years. I know I'm about to be educated but I still go by the old math 2+2=4. Did I fail to plan ahead or did the utility company fail in their planning?
That increase was for those that tried to and did, keep their 4000 foot house at 74 degrees im assuming.
Actually a business heating a 5 story building was probably the bigger draws than residential

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Folks with heat pump systems probably didn't realize their emergency heat strips came on when the temps went below freezing which will really bump up that utility bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom