1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Utility Bill Shock?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dale00, Feb 22, 2021.

1. XYZ

XYZ Sharpshooter

Wife said ours was about $5 lower this month.

2. CHenry

CHenry Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    My OG&E bill came in, it was $100, I think last month was $85.
    Waiting to see the ONG bill.

3. John6185

John6185 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    My natural gas bill for Jan was $102.35 and my Feb bill was $111.48. That is the increase in the amount of heating fuel my home used and I paid it, I have yet to understand how I have to pay more over the next 10 years, I paid the $9.13 increase and all bills are paid up to date. I don't believer I used "that much fuel" that it need to be dragged out over the next ten years. I know I'm about to be educated but I still go by the old math 2+2=4. Did I fail to plan ahead or did the utility company fail in their planning?

4. Aries

Aries Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    If you saw the record cold spell coming and they didn't, then you planned ahead and they did not. If you couldn't see it coming, then why would you think they should have?

Using your logic, if you buy a new car, finance it at $300 per month and pay your $300 "bill" the first month, you paid what you were billed, so why should you have to continue to pay for 5-6 more years?

Answer: Your "bill" didn't cover the cost. It was a record setting cold wave, and record setting costs being paid to producers in order to keep supplying you with gas. The alternatives would be either for them to refuse to pay the extra cost for gas and let you go without any gas for several days, or bill you 10x (or whatever the increased costs) to cover all the expense of record prices for record demand. They are selling it to you for MUCH less than they paid for it, and trying to amortize the cost over a period of time, rather than on one bill as they would under normal circumstances.

5. CHenry

CHenry Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    That increase was for those that tried to and did, keep their 4000 foot house at 74 degrees im assuming.
    Actually a business heating a 5 story building was probably the bigger draws than residential

6. kirk1978

kirk1978 Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Used 200 gallons of propane over those 2 weeks.... Over $2 a gallon when we filled her up.

7. CHenry

CHenry Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    And no way to put a monthly cost on that. Your stocked up now though and it will last the summer likely. Refil in mid september when its low an so are you

8. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Folks with heat pump systems probably didn't realize their emergency heat strips came on when the temps went below freezing which will really bump up that utility bill.

9. druryj

druryj Super Moderator Staff Member

Moderator Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    I do too. I am to dang stove up to be out cutting it. I'm out too; went through a whole rick with the cold snap. I'd buy another rick now too, if I could find it.

10. SoonerP226

SoonerP226 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    You could probably get @RickN cheap, but he's kind of stove up, too, lately.