Vacuum sealer recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We use the Food Saver Vac 500. Had it for 10 years or so, not sure if its still available.

We vac seal everything. Sure makes it last longer. If your doing meat, or whatever, make sure its partially frozen if its something that contains moisture. If its wet, there will be a tiny stream of water come to the seal and it won't seal properly.

bluedog46

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
THey used to make a hefty or Ziploc one with a handheld vac I found pretty good. I have not seen them lately. Food saver is decent. You can often find them on ebay or the sportsmans guide at a good price.

UncleBigToe

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Vacuum sealer is the way to go to stock your freezer! I upgraded to the FoodSaver brand fish& game model about 5 years ago....a little more heavy duty for repeated use....no problems so far. And yes it takes a minute to get used to not getting the juice in the seal. We marinade almost all our wild game and then seal and freeze so that it just gets laid out and walla it's ready to cook! Take it on fishing and hunting trips Out of town so everything gets sealed fresh!

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My biggest recommendation is to get one that has an "accessory port."

I use wide mouth mason jars for a lot of things and they can easily be found up to 1/2 gallon. Cooked ham and turkey at different times and then processed for ham and turkey salad. Put it in the jar and pull a vacuum on it and it will keep in the fridge for a very long time. Need to marinate something in a hurry, toss it in a mason jar with your marinade and what would have taken overnight will happen in 30 to 45 minutes. Buy spices and stuff in bulk and you can keep it fresh for a very long time. Same goes for baking soda, if you leave it in a box that has been opened it will take on a weird flavor in a month or two. Put it in a jar and it will stay perfect till the last bit.

http://www.foodsaver.com/accessories-and-parts/foodsaver-wide-mouth-jar-sealer/T03-0023-01P.html

You can also get canisters among other things that will work with it and IMHO using the jars beats the bags in all ways unless you have to freeze something. You can buy jars that are rated for freezing but they cost a little more and are a bit harder to find.

Latest posts

Top Bottom