value input for m1 garand

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What would be considered to be a fair selling price for a 1943 M1 garand with an early 1945 barrel? the majority of the parts are springfield with a winchester trigger group. i did not pull it down to look at all of the parts.

i do not have gauges to measure wear. it does shoot better than my eyes see.,

The stock has many dings but contains a paper tag that i believe to be Dutch.

i ask for input as to what would be a View attachment 38896View attachment 38897View attachment 38898reasonable price to ask for the old gun? it has been past around the family for the past number of years..... time to part with it as i have a M1a.

your input is appreciated.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perplexed will be along in a bit to give you a smarter answer, but my first blush looking at the finish and not knowing the wear numbers, I would not pay more than $600 for it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If this is the same rifle as in your WTS ad, then without knowing the amount of wear and erosion present in the muzzle and throat, the value could be anywhere from $500 to $900. The Danish (not Dutch) provenance doesn't help the value, though - it can actually be a detriment since the S/N's on the stock don't match the receiver's S/N, nor is the barrel one of the VAR-marked issues known for their accuracy. Is there a S/N written on the piece of paper in the barrel channel? If so, does it match the receiver's S/N? That could help a little bit.

With average muzzle wear (say between 2-3) and throat erosion (4-6), I'd say $700 would be a fair estimate, and you could get a bit more if you take it to Wanenmacher where you'd see a lot of Garand aficionados. If that barrel's production date had been within a couple months of the receiver's born-on date of April 1944, you could have gotten considerably more. As it is, if the barrel has low miles on it, you could get more if you part out the rifle since the barrel alone could fetch you $300+ depending on wear and if the chamber is in the white and the gas pad is not chromed.

If you have more questions, I'd be happy to try and answer them. If you don't know anyone with the proper gauges for measuring the barrel wear, or who has a USGI M2 ball cartridge, I can meet you in town to do the measurements for you. Good luck with your sale!

bsmith918

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Perplexed is right on as always. A field grade can be had from the CMP for $525 + shipping at the stores and a Service Grade can be had for $625 + shipping through mail order. Just a guess by looking at yours, it is probably a field grade. You can add a little due to the convenience of not having to wait for several months for the CMP to ship a service grade and they are only selling field grades in the CMP stores. The ME/TE readings will give you more information about it's grade. I also agree that it may be worth more in parts, but would hate to see it parted out. Gun show prices tend to be higher and cater to people that want it now and are not really collectors.

Latest posts

Top Bottom