Vechicle carry question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes I do have my permit and I figured he was wrong. So does it matter if the gun is open or concealed either on me or in the vehicle?
You can carry it either way. No restriction.
If you have your CCL, you can also carry a long rifle or shotgun in the vehicle with the chamber unloaded, but the magazine can be loaded.

Permanent37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can carry it either way. No restriction.
If you have your CCL, you can also carry a long rifle or shotgun in the vehicle with the chamber unloaded, but the magazine can be loaded.

Thanks for the clarification, I know Oklahoma has some dumb laws but having a CCL and not being able to carry your firearm loaded would have been an all new low lol.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My license reads "Oklahoma Handgun License" at the top of it.

That is correct the new ones say "OKLAHOMA Handgun License". I think it's worded poorly. Flip it over and it reads "This license must be carried by licensee at all times a handgun is in your possession" Not a single word about it being a carry permit. A LEO from another state might think it was just a license to own a pistol like NYC or something. They really need to fix that!

My old license clearly said OKLAHOMA Concealed Weapon License. I know with open carry they made the change but the new ones do not state anywhere on them that they are a permit to "CARRY"

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do you mean the SDA permit? There is no "Oklahoma Handgun License."

My license reads "Oklahoma Handgun License" at the top of it.

That is correct the new ones say "OKLAHOMA Handgun License". I think it's worded poorly. Flip it over and it reads "This license must be carried by licensee at all times a handgun is in your possession" Not a single word about it being a carry permit. A LEO from another state might think it was just a license to own a pistol like NYC or something. They really need to fix that!

My old license clearly said OKLAHOMA Concealed Weapon License. I know with open carry they made the change but the new ones do not state anywhere on them that they are a permit to "CARRY"
I finally got to see a new handgun license. You have to wonder if the phrase "Handgun License" was used inadvertently or deliberately.

Liberty addict

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I do have my permit and I figured he was wrong. So does it matter if the gun is open or concealed either on me or in the vehicle?
It doesn't matter now that those that are licensed can open carry. IIRC, even before we had open carry, I think you could carry in your car anyway you liked; but that may be a fine point of the law that ends up at the officer's discretion. Anyway, doesn't matter now!

Latest posts

Top Bottom