Vehicle End-of-Life Decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottb42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a question for the mechanically-savvy OSA members.

What does one do with a car with a worn-out engine? Straight to junkmycar.com or is there any market for something like this as a project car?

My daily driver is a 2004 Ford Mustang (V6 3.8l), currently just over 152K miles. This was my father-in-law's car for the first 6 years, and he used it for pretty much nothing but very short trips. I'm thinking that type of usage is really catching up with me.

It is now consuming oil like crazy, probably nearly 2 qts per 1K miles. Since I'm not seeing any sign of leaks on the garage floor I figure that it's being burned. Further, I have had to replace the driver's side spark plugs several times this year due to it running very rough at low RPMs. I took some pictures after my most recent escapade in plug swapping. The driver's side middle is shown in the first three photos. Driver's side front is shown in the last two. Since there's only about 2500 miles on these plugs, it's pretty clear where all that oil is going.

Due to lack of time, tools, space, and necessary mechanical aptitude, (in addition to already running at 110% stress levels) it is not an option for me to personally perform an engine overhaul or swap. Paying somebody to have it done will end up costing more than the Blue Book value on the car.

I don't really need the car any more since my wife will be getting a new one any day now and I can drive her old one, so there is no need for heroic efforts to keep this one going. If the best answer is "junkyard" then I'll live with it, just seems like a bit of a waste since the rest of the car seems to be doing OK.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Driver Side Middle 1.jpg
Driver Side Middle 2.jpg
Driver Side Middle 3.jpg
Driver Side Front 1.jpg
Driver Side Front 2.jpg

MavMatt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Find a mustang forum, most mustang guy's always know someone who wants one for parts, that is as long as the body isn't beat up. My Ford Explorer motor threw a timing chain last year and I put it on Craigslist and had a guy show up with trailer and $400 cash for it.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Last I heard you could get about $100 selling to a salvage. I'd sell it with full disclosure for $500 or something you think is fair, it's going to be more than a salvage.

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or just keep it for a spare for that just in case moment, i know my spare pickup has came in handy the last couple of month first my water pump went out then my slave cylinder went out and just yesterday blew a freeze plug out of my daily driver and had to have something to get back and forth to work til i got my daily driver fixed each time and to go get parts. My spare is a 86 model S15 and not in very good shape but it does start and run and gets me from point A to point B and back with little problems

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put some oil defoulers in it. You might be surprised.
I agree with this approach put the oil foulers in it and if the car is in any kind of shape someone will give you at least $1500 (so you can drop down to whatever) if it runs and you tell them the problem someone will buy it at a price better than the salvage he’ll if I had the money I would buy it for a project for between 500 and $800 knowing what’s wrong with it

Latest posts

Top Bottom