Vehicle service ramps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I made an A frame from 2x4's to pull an engine from a 1978 Ford Bronco.
Buddy said it would not hold..I took my come-a-long and pulled the entire Bronco front end off the ground.
Front tires were 3" off the ground and then I climbed up on top of the A frame and told him to climb up on top with me.

I double dog dared him. He got up there and all was well.
That thing did not look as nice as your ramps though.
But it did work.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I remember my dad making 3 sets of ramps out of wood. He had trouble with the angle and they would move or skip driving up them. Back when we would change our own oil and filter. Similar to these, not actual pics.

th

Glued inner tube to the bottom of my home made wood ones for the very same reason.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I was a kid and we needed to change the oil in our car we'd drain it out on the ground, push the car a few feet, put the drain plug back in and put the oil in. These days I'd go to jail for draining it out on the ground. I remember one time we stole the fuel out of a tractor of some sort and boy, that old '48 Chevy smoked all the way home-or at least a block from home before it quit. The next day we drained all the diesel fuel out of the Chevy on the ground again and put gas in and it ran again. Morale of the story is not to steal diesel fuel for a gas vehicle. Got the Good Conduct medal in the military too-because I didn't get caught!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
When I was a kid and we needed to change the oil in our car we'd drain it out on the ground, push the car a few feet, put the drain plug back in and put the oil in. These days I'd go to jail for draining it out on the ground. I remember one time we stole the fuel out of a tractor of some sort and boy, that old '48 Chevy smoked all the way home-or at least a block from home before it quit. The next day we drained all the diesel fuel out of the Chevy on the ground again and put gas in and it ran again. Morale of the story is not to steal diesel fuel for a gas vehicle. Got the Good Conduct medal in the military too-because I didn't get caught!
My dad used to mix a gallon of diesel fuel in a full tank of gas in his 56 Mercury. Smoked and knocked until he ran the mix out.
Said it cleaned out the carbon from the cylinder heads. I'm not so sure about that.
My buddy's wife drove their new F-350 diesel to the gas station and filled it with gas when a month old. It cost a new engine.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My dad used to mix a gallon of diesel fuel in a full tank of gas in his 56 Mercury. Smoked and knocked until he ran the mix out.
Said it cleaned out the carbon from the cylinder heads. I'm not so sure about that.
That was your Dad's version of Marvel Mystery Oil.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I remember my dad making 3 sets of ramps out of wood. He had trouble with the angle and they would move or skip driving up them.
Glued inner tube to the bottom of my home made wood ones for the very same reason.
I drilled a 1/2" hole in my concrete shop floor. Dropped in a long bolt and put a 6-8 foot 2"x4" across the front of the metal ramps (and against the bolt) until I got a vehicle up on the ramps.

Still keep a carriage-head bolt in the hole when not in use, so it don't fill with dirt (and don't stick up high enough to trip over).
:drunk2:

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I drilled a 1/2" hole in my concrete shop floor. Dropped in a long bolt and put a 6-8 foot 2"x4" across the front of the metal ramps (and against the bolt) until I got a vehicle up on the ramps.

Still keep a carriage-head bolt in the hole when not in use, so it don't fill with dirt (and don't stick up high enough to trip over).
:drunk2:
With my 1-3/4" stepped ramp solution there is no need for rubber bases or concrete demolition required.

Latest posts

Top Bottom