Video: Why I am seriously considering NOT renewing my carry permit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not an option for me. With my carry insurance and as much as I travel, I have to have it. I fly under the radar on the highway and have only been stopped twice in the 10 years I've lived here. Both times were good interactions and I clearly deserved more than the verbal I received both times lol. That doesn't mean I won't run into a ****ing tool with a piece of steel on their chest (we all know those and I won't call them a cop) and get a gun in my ear.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I tend to push the speed limit and rightfully get stoped more often than anyone should. Never had a bad experience and truly believe my carry permit has saved me a bunch of tickets. One kinda funny..

Was on my way to Dallas, not thinking went through a small town a little fast. Hands on the wheel told officer I had a permit and have a weapon. He asked me whear it was, center console, asked for my DR. Well my wallet is in the console with the gun. We both kinda giggled, he said keep you speed down and have a good day.

Jonny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BLUF: It's a long tangential post that goes far beyond the scope of the video.

That was a good video that should prompt some thinking if you haven't already had that realization. I think his reasoning holds true for the city/county level of policing but fails beyond that. His comments about registration are the more important discussion I think.

I've asserted for years that 4473's are defacto registration; the changes in tech the past few years have made this a moot point that doesn't concern me anymore. That concern has been superseded by one far more dangerous. The government does not need a registration, big tech has the registration for them. I don't need to see that you own a firearm; I can conclude with certainty that you own one based on your electronic purchases of ammo, range passes, firearms accessories, web viewing habits (gun forums, videos watched, etc.), locations you visit, etc. Big data provides that information.

"But that info is held by companies, not the government". I would have agreed with that sentiment in the past, but no longer.

Within the past few months we have started publicly seeing (It's been happening within limits behind the scenes for some time) the joining of the federal (and state to some extent) government with big tech for purposes of "identifying" people. Following the Jan. 6 riots financial institutions provided personal info to the govt. about customers that had financial transactions in and around D.C. immediately before or after the 6th. Scary, but sounds reasonable if you were trying to find true insurrectionists.

Consider the reports of the previous week that DHS is hiring companies to examine public data about citizens for watch lists and no-fly lists. The bar that this sets (identify people that may be prone to toxic messaging by "domestic extremists") is laughably low. Responding to a troll on a forum can be interpreted as "influenced". We've seen for years the stance taken by big tech against conservatives. Now these same groups get to be involved in classifying who is or isn't a threat.

Having a carry license isn't the big target on your back when you get pulled over for speeding. Being listed as a domestic extremist because you believe the 2A is meant to prevent tyranny is a big target.

I could go on for a long time but I'll get off my soapbox :soapbox:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BLUF: It's a long tangential post that goes far beyond the scope of the video.

That was a good video that should prompt some thinking if you haven't already had that realization. I think his reasoning holds true for the city/county level of policing but fails beyond that. His comments about registration are the more important discussion I think.

I've asserted for years that 4473's are defacto registration; the changes in tech the past few years have made this a moot point that doesn't concern me anymore. That concern has been superseded by one far more dangerous. The government does not need a registration, big tech has the registration for them. I don't need to see that you own a firearm; I can conclude with certainty that you own one based on your electronic purchases of ammo, range passes, firearms accessories, web viewing habits (gun forums, videos watched, etc.), locations you visit, etc. Big data provides that information.

"But that info is held by companies, not the government". I would have agreed with that sentiment in the past, but no longer.

Within the past few months we have started publicly seeing (It's been happening within limits behind the scenes for some time) the joining of the federal (and state to some extent) government with big tech for purposes of "identifying" people. Following the Jan. 6 riots financial institutions provided personal info to the govt. about customers that had financial transactions in and around D.C. immediately before or after the 6th. Scary, but sounds reasonable if you were trying to find true insurrectionists.

Consider the reports of the previous week that DHS is hiring companies to examine public data about citizens for watch lists and no-fly lists. The bar that this sets (identify people that may be prone to toxic messaging by "domestic extremists") is laughably low. Responding to a troll on a forum can be interpreted as "influenced". We've seen for years the stance taken by big tech against conservatives. Now these same groups get to be involved in classifying who is or isn't a threat.

Having a carry license isn't the big target on your back when you get pulled over for speeding. Being listed as a domestic extremist because you believe the 2A is meant to prevent tyranny is a big target.

I could go on for a long time but I'll get off my soapbox :soapbox:
Good points that are very true. Any thought of being "under the radar" for normal folks is out of the question in this digital world.
If one deals in cash only, never uses a cell or computer, you can fly low, but there are always triggers out there to trace someone.
Digital media can be tracked using algorithms that pick up words that "could be offensive" depending on the filters they use in the program. Government agencies can cross reference those words with a digital history to see if your dangerous or not.
I'm pretty sure everyone on this forum is on a certain level of watch list with this administration. They are out to destroy the 2A and Conservatives.

Latest posts

Top Bottom