Visitors from out of State?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know I can look it up but no energy today so I am going the lazy way and would like to ask. :)

If a person from Wyoming is here in Oklahoma to visit can they carry their handgun?

This is a quick search and what Wyoming has to say about no permit. How does this work when they are here?

No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun or handgun. Wyoming respects the right of law abiding citizens to openly carry a handgun. Any person 21 years of age or older, who is not prohibited possessor, may carry a weapon openly or concealed without the need for a license.

MadDogs

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know I can look it up but no energy today so I am going the lazy way and would like to ask. :)

If a person from Wyoming is here in Oklahoma to visit can they carry their handgun?

This is a quick search and what Wyoming has to say about no permit. How does this work when they are here?

No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun or handgun. Wyoming respects the right of law abiding citizens to openly carry a handgun. Any person 21 years of age or older, who is not prohibited possessor, may carry a weapon openly or concealed without the need for a license.

My understanding is they have to abide/comply with the laws of the state they are in.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
They can carry.

TITLE 21 § 1290.26 RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state. 20 A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. B. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority of a state that is a nonpermitted carry state and the person is in compliance with the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the person is authorized to carry a concealed firearm in this state. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to the nonpermitting laws of the state in which he or she is a legal resident. The person shall present proper identification by a valid photo ID as proof that he or she is a legal resident in such a non-permitting state. The Department of Public Safety shall keep a current list of nonpermitting states for law enforcement officers to confirm that a state is nonpermitting.

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks.

I was thinking I had seen this before but am not up to looking today (migraine) and I wont let them use my computer.

I will forward this to them and tell them to verify it and I am off to my cave for a day or so.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks.

I was thinking I had seen this before but am not up to looking today (migraine) and I wont let them use my computer.

I will forward this to them and tell them to verify it and I am off to my cave for a day or so.

Its straight from OSBI's site.
Thanks.

It's straight from OSBI's site, not sure how much more verified you have to be than that. I would tell them to request a copy of the handbook, or put it in PDF on there phone, just in case they have to reference it for an LEO, because I can guarantee most won't know it. I had one tell me you couldnt have a loaded gun in the car with a permit, had to be on your person, and only when in public.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Do your friends from WY have concealed carry licenses or do they just exercise Constitutional carry in WY?
The reason I ask is that the reciprocity agreement implies that visitors must have a permit from their home State.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do your friends from WY have concealed carry licenses or do they just exercise Constitutional carry in WY?
The reason I ask is that the reciprocity agreement implies that visitors must have a permit from their home State.
that's what I thought too (but I'm not 100% sure)

EhlerDave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Its straight from OSBI's site.

It's straight from OSBI's site, not sure how much more verified you have to be than that. I would tell them to request a copy of the handbook, or put it in PDF on there phone, just in case they have to reference it for an LEO, because I can guarantee most won't know it. I had one tell me you couldnt have a loaded gun in the car with a permit, had to be on your person, and only when in public.

Not meaning you were wrong, just want them to look up the info themselves so they can say this is where I read the regulations.

Neither have a permit because it is just not needed, I think they should call and see if they can get a clear answer. No need to problems by making an honest mistake.

I have a copy of the handbook to give them and they can go from there.

Thanks for the info.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I went ahead and put the answer in bold, nonpermitting state would be a state that authorizes constitutional carry. Ya'll are only reading the first part or an old copy of the statute.

TITLE 21 § 1290.26 RECIPROCAL AGREEMENT AUTHORITY
The State of Oklahoma hereby recognizes any valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued by another state, or if the state is a nonpermitting carry state, this state shall reciprocate under the permitting law of that state. 20 A. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed or unconcealed carry upon the authority and license of another state is authorized to continue to carry a concealed or unconcealed firearm and license in this state; provided the license from the other state remains valid. The firearm must either be carried unconcealed or concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed or unconcealed firearm pursuant to a valid concealed or unconcealed carry weapons permit or license issued in another state. B. Any person entering this state in possession of a firearm authorized for concealed carry upon the authority of a state that is a nonpermitted carry state and the person is in compliance with the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, the person is authorized to carry a concealed firearm in this state. The firearm must be carried fully concealed from detection and view, and upon coming in contact with any peace officer of this state, the person must disclose the fact that he or she is in possession of a concealed firearm pursuant to the nonpermitting laws of the state in which he or she is a legal resident. The person shall present proper identification by a valid photo ID as proof that he or she is a legal resident in such a non-permitting state. The Department of Public Safety shall keep a current list of nonpermitting states for law enforcement officers to confirm that a state is nonpermitting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom