W244 powder ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've used W231 for 38 Spl., 357 Mag. and 45 ACP since the mid 80's when I first started reloading and have a pretty fair supply of it on hand but a fella told me yesterday that he saw (hopefully just internet Fake News) that Winchester is going to do away with W231 and go strictly with their newer W244.

W244 is supposed to be grain for grain a little warmer than W231 and has some additive, like the CFE powders, that Winch. is calling Winclean that makes it burn cleaner.

I'm not in a bind for W231 but I'm also not opposed to getting a few more pounds headed this way from Powder Valley if the rumor of it being discontinued are true.

Anyone else onboard heard that W231 is going to be discontinued or tried W244 ?

244.jpg

Last edited:

rswink

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't heard anything recently, but I think I heard rumors of 231 going away years ago and it is still here.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
HP38 and 231 are EXACTLY the same powder. Made by the same company.
https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/217873-w231-hp-38-same-powder-confirmation/

Lot numbers as we know will change and that change will or can result in a % loss or gain in burn speed or case fill.
Just like all powders bullets and primers the lot number can make or break a load due to very slight or more than slight differences.

One reason I like to buy in bulk.
I have been burned by lot number changes in 1 lb bottles of powder and Hornady changed my favorite 150 gr Bullet's shape and ruined my 30-06 accuracy with the new shape..Yea a new lot number.

Latest posts

Top Bottom